No announcement yet.

Debian Might Abandon Their Live Images

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just yesterday, I made a PXE bootable Debian 9 KDE live system with live-build on jessie.
    Then I found out about live-build being deprecated in favor of live-wrapper, which is only available starting from stretch.
    Then I found out about pre-made Debian KDE live-images and figured I might as well just use those... Or should I.. :P

Comment

Meh, I just use Ubuntu to bootstrap my Debian install. It's no big deal.

Comment

im not against it, it costs to much money an time to produce Live Images, plus one could/can still burn an netinstall or whatever to CD rather than a DvD

Comment

I use the live CD so I can do some web browsing while the installation happens. I also use it often to do things like resizing partitions and stuff like that before proceeding with the installation.

Comment

I haven't in years. Just use the Arch one when I need it. They don't even make the standard live image, just the ones with desktop environments. I just tried with the regular install disk, and you can still ctrl-alt-f (f2, etc, not the letter f) to a terminal. It seems a bit limited.

Actually, I just did a few tests, and damn I'm getting old and obsolete. Just about none of the old tricks work anymore. They have nano but not vi?

Comment

I don't really see the value any more in the live images. Virtualization has become commodity and common place, and anyone savvy enough to be interested in trying a Linux disto, can install it under Virtualbox or VMware or KVM, as a VM and test it out. No need to reboot your PC and boot up a disc.

Those who use a live CD to perform diagnostics and repairs know Knoppix is the leader, by far.

Comment

I also stopped using live cds for anything other than fixing a system, and even then I prefer to use a dedicated one like system rescue cd or something similar. A regular desktop live distro usually doesn't even have the neccessary tools.

Something that I would welcome instead of a live cd would be an option to do an install (with custom packages etc) to a usb drive, which I can take with me and boot any machine as my own desktop with persistent storage and everything. This is somewhat covered by livecds but without the "storage" and "custom" parts.

Comment

GPartEd is very important and is based on Debian! Though they don't use KDE or any other fancy things like that, so I guess they are unaffected by most of the problems.

As for the uses for a LiveCD, I use one extensively lately: on university PCs Windows (7!) is installed, and that's useless to me. They are pretty powerful and have a lot of disk space, so I run a LiveCD to do the scientific processing tasks without messing up the Windows installation. I could do that off an external HDD with a distribution installed on it, but I'm dealing with huge raster images, so space is at a premium. The LiveCD solution works well (I'm using the openSUSE Tumbleweed LiveCD), provided that the USB stick is fast enough.

Comment

I'm curious about the reason that Debian is having this difficulty. Have they lost developers and if so why?

Comment

Live-CDs are a very usefull tool in evaluating whether a PC will work out-of-the-box or some unsupported or buggy GPU will need tender and continuous care.
                      The only problem I see, is that those Live-CD are some baseline installations and mostly everyone will find some different piece missing (or unnecessary and wasting space).

Maybe a debian supported community-project to easily build such CDs would be the best way forward, there already are unofficial debian Live-Cds with binary blobs included.

Comment

Working...
                      X