Ubuntu 17.10 Soon Switching Over To GCC 7

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bregma View Post

I have no interest in building the entire LLVM toolchain on my local machines, let alone lobbying travis-ci to provide custom toolchains on their builders.

The ancient version of libc++ supplied on Ubuntu doesn't even compile with clang in C++14 mode , let alone C++17 mode.

Code:
    /usr/include/c++/v1/string:1938:44: error: 'basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Allocator>' is missing exception specification 'noexcept(is_nothrow_copy_constructible<allocator_type>::value)'
    basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Allocator>::basic_string(const allocator_type& __a)
    ^
    /usr/include/c++/v1/string:1326:40: note: previous declaration is here
    There are binaries for ubuntu on llvm download page, with correct libc++ version.

Comment

I'm not sure what needs to be fixed upstream in GCC, but something needs to be fixed 'cause Solus rolled back 7.1 to 6.4.0 There's gotta be a reason for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
        I'm not sure what needs to be fixed upstream in GCC, but something needs to be fixed 'cause Solus rolled back 7.1 to 6.4.0 There's gotta be a reason for that.
        Incompetence? Arch has been on GCC/ for a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by arokh View Post

Incompetence? Arch has been on GCC/ for a long time.
          Right.. Actually it's because GCC 7.1 generates broken instructions which in turn caused a ever so slightly broken glibc (2.25) which would rear its head when attempting to play games such as Borderlands 2 or KOTOR, i.e. by actually segfaulting. We attempted both with 7.1 + gcc+git, and the issue prevailed. Arch build their glibc with a workaround which dearly costs in performance (-mstackrealign) to fix the segfaults. The performance trade-off was unacceptable from our viewpoint so we downgraded (we'd been on 6.3 but went from 7.1 to 6.4) and then performed mass rebuilds, which alleviated the segfault issues by reintroducing a more mature toolchain and did not sacrifice performance in gaming or otherwise. This wasn't the only side-effect of 7.1, we had other subtly broken parts in the system all as a result of GCC 7.1.

If providing an established user base with a more mature toolchain and a more stable experience makes us incompetent then yeah, I'll wear that hat.

Comment

For those wondering, here is the Mozilla bug report:

And here is the corresponding GCC bug report about 7.1 producing broken code (already fixed for 7.2):

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
              For those wondering, here is the Mozilla bug report:

And here is the corresponding GCC bug report about 7.1 producing broken code (already fixed for 7.2):
              Cheers, couldn't find the links off hand (early morning - pre brain-working) - obviously in Solus we intend to move back to 7 when 7.2 is released

Comment

Working...
              X