Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 17.10 Soon Switching Over To GCC 7

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ubuntu 17.10 Soon Switching Over To GCC 7

    Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Soon Switching Over To GCC 7

    Ubuntu will begin their transition from GCC 6 to GCC 7 in early August...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tu-17.10-GCC-7

  • #2
    No Unity, no party.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Uramekus
      I Hope they fix building firefox with GCC 7.1 before the switch.
      The fix is in GCC 7.2

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

        The fix is in GCC 7.2
        Huh? Firefox builds fine on Arch and that has been using gcc 7.1 for a while now. I don't see that they are using any special patches to firefox for that either.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Drago View Post
          No Unity, no party.
          I 100% agree, the main thing that made Ubuntu unique for desktop users, its the worst news for the linux community we have had in years

          Comment


          • #6
            So Debian is switching also?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by zman0900 View Post

              Huh? Firefox builds fine on Arch and that has been using gcc 7.1 for a while now. I don't see that they are using any special patches to firefox for that either.
              It is not using gcc 7.1. It's using way newer 7.2 snapshot.

              Comment


              • #8
                I'm wondering what they're going to do about the fact that installing GCC 7 breaks all clang++ compiles in C++17 mode because the latter lacks deduction guide support. That's going to be a little awkward until the new LLVM toolchain gets released and transitioned by Ubuntu too. I guess there's still time.
                bregma
                Senior Member
                Last edited by bregma; 28 July 2017, 11:46 AM. Reason: added reference links

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  I'm wondering what they're going to do about the fact that installing GCC 7 breaks all clang++ compiles in C++17 mode because the latter lacks deduction guide support. That's going to be a little awkward until the new LLVM toolchain gets released and transitioned by Ubuntu too. I guess there's still time.
                  You can and should use libc++ instead of libstdc++ as C++ standard library with clang++.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    You can and should use libc++ instead of libstdc++ as C++ standard library with clang++.
                    I have no interest in building the entire LLVM toolchain on my local machines, let alone lobbying travis-ci to provide custom toolchains on their builders.

                    The ancient version of libc++ supplied on Ubuntu doesn't even compile with clang in C++14 mode , let alone C++17 mode.

                    Code:
                    /usr/include/c++/v1/string:1938:44: error: 'basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Allocator>' is missing exception specification 'noexcept(is_nothrow_copy_constructible<allocator_type>::value)'
                    basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Allocator>::basic_string(const allocator_type& __a)
                                                               ^
                    /usr/include/c++/v1/string:1326:40: note: previous declaration is here

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X