Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 Soon Switching Over To GCC 7

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 Soon Switching Over To GCC 7

Ubuntu will begin their transition from GCC 6 to GCC 7 in early August...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tu-17.10-GCC-7

No Unity, no party.

Comment

Originally posted by Uramekus
      I Hope they fix building firefox with GCC 7.1 before the switch.
      The fix is in GCC 7.2

Comment

Originally posted by FireBurn View Post

The fix is in GCC 7.2
        Huh? Firefox builds fine on Arch and that has been using gcc 7.1 for a while now. I don't see that they are using any special patches to firefox for that either.

Comment

Originally posted by Drago View Post
          No Unity, no party.
          I 100% agree, the main thing that made Ubuntu unique for desktop users, its the worst news for the linux community we have had in years

Comment

So Debian is switching also?

Comment

Originally posted by zman0900 View Post

Huh? Firefox builds fine on Arch and that has been using gcc 7.1 for a while now. I don't see that they are using any special patches to firefox for that either.
              It is not using gcc 7.1. It's using way newer 7.2 snapshot.

Comment

I'm wondering what they're going to do about the fact that installing GCC 7 breaks all clang++ compiles in C++17 mode because the latter lacks deduction guide support. That's going to be a little awkward until the new LLVM toolchain gets released and transitioned by Ubuntu too. I guess there's still time.
                bregma
                Last edited by bregma; 28 July 2017, 11:46 AM. Reason: added reference links

Comment

Originally posted by bregma View Post
                  I'm wondering what they're going to do about the fact that installing GCC 7 breaks all clang++ compiles in C++17 mode because the latter lacks deduction guide support. That's going to be a little awkward until the new LLVM toolchain gets released and transitioned by Ubuntu too. I guess there's still time.
                  You can and should use libc++ instead of libstdc++ as C++ standard library with clang++.

Comment

Originally posted by Krejzi View Post
                    You can and should use libc++ instead of libstdc++ as C++ standard library with clang++.
                    I have no interest in building the entire LLVM toolchain on my local machines, let alone lobbying travis-ci to provide custom toolchains on their builders.

The ancient version of libc++ supplied on Ubuntu doesn't even compile with clang in C++14 mode , let alone C++17 mode.

Code:
                    /usr/include/c++/v1/string:1938:44: error: 'basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Allocator>' is missing exception specification 'noexcept(is_nothrow_copy_constructible<allocator_type>::value)'
                    basic_string<_CharT, _Traits, _Allocator>::basic_string(const allocator_type& __a)
                                                               ^
                    /usr/include/c++/v1/string:1326:40: note: previous declaration is here

Comment

Working...
                    X