Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 26 Is Ready To Roll & It's Looking Fantastic

Phoronix: Fedora 26 Is Ready To Roll & It's Looking Fantastic

While it's yet another Fedora release shipping several weeks late (in fact, more than one month later than anticipated), the release is once again worth the wait. I've been evaluating the near-final state of Fedora 26 on several of my test systems the past few days and it's working like a champ.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I do not know the reason, but my machines do not agree with Fedora Gnome, I've always had problems with this distribution and I also have to discard this release because of its disarming slowness. Strange because I have no problems with Debian and with Opensuse.

Comment

That is the default wallpaper? They should choose another one, because that passes a message of cold and depressing user experience...

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
        That is the default wallpaper? They should choose another one, because that passes a message of cold and depressing user experience...
        Actually, it's the first default Fedora wallpaper my wife likes.

Comment

Originally posted by r1348 View Post

Actually, it's the first default Fedora wallpaper my wife likes.
          And now you know she has crippling depression..

Comment

I'm using Fedora 26 since 2 weeks, and I must say I didn't notice at first that I was running on Wayland ! It's when I tried "sudo gedit..." that I realize there was something new (now I will have to find a more secure way to edit my configuration text files). I'm surprised because Wayland brings a much smoother and clean rendering, I didn't expect I would be able to notice it.

Only two downsides for my part:
            - Dynamic power management is not working with Linux 4.11 because of a Nouveau regression (it's a 2010 laptop). I had to blacklist it with `nouveau.modeset=0` to boot and install Fedora and then install a 4.12 kernel from rawhide.
            - Sometimes the Gnome Shell Systray doesn't expand.

Well, again, a very good distribution !

Comment

Originally posted by M@GOid View Post
              Nonsense. I don't find it cold and depressing (or sending such a message about UX) and I doubt that most people will think so. I find this winter scene quite pretty.

You can't please everyone anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by remjg View Post
                It's when I tried "sudo gedit..." that I realize there was something new (now I will have to find a more secure way to edit my configuration text files).
                All you need to do to run
                Code:
                sudo gedit
                is to allow local connections:

Code:
                xhost + local:
                I still think this is not a secure way of doing it, just letting you know how to do it in case you really want to

Comment

Originally posted by remjg View Post
                  I'm using Fedora 26 since 2 weeks, and I must say I didn't notice at first that I was running on Wayland ! It's when I tried "sudo gedit..." that I realize there was something new (now I will have to find a more secure way to edit my configuration text files). I'm surprised because Wayland brings a much smoother and clean rendering, I didn't expect I would be able to notice it.
                  Using sudo with GUI apps is a bad idea in-general. pkexec is better to use, but I'm unsure of the correct syntax to get apps working atm
                  (in the past, "pkexec env DISPLAY=$DISPLAY gedit /etc/hosts" worked, but now in F26 on Xorg I get a display connect error).

When I need to edit text files for configuration purposes, I use nano from a Terminal; it's simple and works nicely.

Comment

My body is ready. And I like the wallpaper too.

Comment

Working...
                    X