Ubuntu 17.10 To Fully Use Netplan By Default For Network Configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 17.10 To Fully Use Netplan By Default For Network Configuration

Phoronix: Ubuntu 17.10 To Fully Use Netplan By Default For Network Configuration

One year after Ubuntu developers announced their Netplan project for consolidated networking configuration across platforms, they are now planning to use Netplan by default in Ubuntu 17.10 across all editions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

From the original announcement it sounds at least more sane than systemd-network or even network manager. But then I looked at the code and I thought, no not again.
    But in the end it seems like just a python script, which sounds perfectly hookable.
    The only reason no one can touch /etc/network/interfaces.d/* right now is because I only use that to write my shell scripts.
    I have my own manager for linux-vserver that creates anything I need, and I have some hooks for lxc.
    Maybe netplan isn't that bad if it allows for hooks.

Comment

So it's generate networkd configs, but if I replace this configs with my own configs, netplan will not try to do something funny, unless I run "netplan generate"? (Which I won't run.)
      Last edited by RussianNeuroMancer; 21 June 2017, 04:42 AM.

Comment

I sincerely hope that this will not bring back problems of ancient YaST (overwriting user modified configuration files, distro specific solution,...).

Comment

Originally posted by froyo View Post
          I sincerely hope that this will not bring back problems of ancient YaST (overwriting user modified configuration files, distro specific solution,...).
          Yeah, I'm wondering that as well. How will you be able to change the network config without this overwriting it? If it doesn't, then it sounds like a pretty cool thing.. but I'd still like to see the tools creating these netplan config files. I thought that often during install networking is already brought up (to get updates). If so, then not easier to just rely on NM directly? You'd need to know during the installer when the networking is up, no? I'm kind of confused.

Comment

Oh no, not more Canonical python crap. Please, golang at the very least or it doesn't exist. It's enough to make one seriously consider Debian again.

Update: I do apologise, according to the src/ netplan is written in C. I saw "python" mentioned somewhere and went ballistic. And why? Because if something as fundamental as network setup depends on python then ALL of ubuntu-minimal would depend on python so therefor removing python (which I do on all of my servers) would also remove the entire OS making ubuntu-server unusable.

Update2: The "oh no" sentiment remains, I didn't look carefully enough, the main netplan app is indeed freaking python!!! That means it will no longer be possible to remove python from ubuntu servers without uninstalling the entire OS if netplan | ifupdown are not virtual packages.

https://git.launchpad.net/netplan/tree/src/netplan
            Last edited by markc; 21 June 2017, 10:03 PM.

Comment

Meanwhile, modern-day OpenSUSE's YaST reads the current config in the files so any manual user modification is not overwritten.

And is already out there since a long time.

I can understand trying to make something better, but Netplan sounds plain worse.

Comment

Originally posted by bkor View Post

Yeah, I'm wondering that as well. How will you be able to change the network config without this overwriting it? If it doesn't, then it sounds like a pretty cool thing.. but I'd still like to see the tools creating these netplan config files. I thought that often during install networking is already brought up (to get updates). If so, then not easier to just rely on NM directly? You'd need to know during the installer when the networking is up, no? I'm kind of confused.
                This is not really for user configuration of the network. This is more for the cloud.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                Meanwhile, modern-day OpenSUSE's YaST reads the current config in the files so any manual user modification is not overwritten.

And is already out there since a long time.

I can understand trying to make something better, but Netplan sounds plain worse.
                Wow, you know you could just read about it before bitching. The document explaining it is almost as short as this article...
                Last edited by cynical; 21 June 2017, 01:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
                  Wow, you know you could just read about it before bitching. The document explaining it is almost as short as this article...
                  It's Ubuntu so I always bitch first, then read later.

Because haters are gonna hate.

Comment

At least you're honest about it.

Comment

Working...
                    X