Ubuntu Is Finally Looking At Shipping Accelerated Video Playback Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Is Finally Looking At Shipping Accelerated Video Playback Support

Phoronix: Ubuntu Is Finally Looking At Shipping Accelerated Video Playback Support

It's 2017 and Ubuntu is finally looking at shipping GPU-accelerated video playback support out-of-the-box on the Ubuntu desktop...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, I knew Ubuntu was a wasteland on the desktop, but this is beyond the pale.

Comment

Intel's Media SDK also requires kernel patches. If Canonical could help push Intel to get all this stuff upstreamed, that would be amazing, since we'd finally get usable hardware accelerated encoding too, which would be a nice win.

Comment

In other words, they managed to unearth (probably) the only acceleration framework nobody has heard of and decided to use that by default. What can you do, with Unity gone, you've got to reinvent something, I guess.

Comment

What if you have a Nvidia or AMD graphics card? Would those still have to be enabled separately?

Comment

Ubuntu doesn't have Hardware video decoding? Don't know about other distros but OpenSUSE has supported that out of the box for as long as I remember. And they're using some proprietary stuff?

Comment

ok - that's strange. thought it was turned on by default (you learn something different every day!)
              as for targeting Intel - I am guessing they went for the most difficult first *because* the acceleration story is good on the other vendors

Comment

Isn't VA-API + VDPAU enough? QuickSync on Windows is usually worse than DXVA.

Comment

Originally posted by pdffs View Post
                  we'd finally get usable hardware accelerated encoding too
                  VAAPI has usable encoding already if your ffmpeg is new enough. Preferably ffmpeg-git, as there's still ongoing improvements happening in the hardware de/encoding area. And you don't have to jump through hoops to get it running like you do with QSV.

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                  Isn't VA-API + VDPAU enough? QuickSync on Windows is usually worse than DXVA.
                  VDPAU is basically dead. What's there and works is there, but don't count on any new development (like 10bit HEVC, like Wayland support, and such). But VAAPI is indeed enough and QSV on Linux is an even bigger pain in the butt than on Windows (requires kernel patches and a proprietary fork of libva and other hassles).

So why Canonical is pursuing QSV is beyond me. The only word I can use to describe it is... stupid.
                  Last edited by Gusar; 20 June 2017, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Wait, are videos currently being decoded on the CPU or what? I don't remember needing to do anything special to get smooth full HD video playback, neither on Ubuntu nor on Fedora.

Comment

Working...
                    X