OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Is Now Built With PIE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by reimar View Post

You'll have to start by explaining what "issue" you are talking about, since a Google search doesn't find anything.
    Obviously things like Android's reinvention of the build system and it's non-support of pure C applications sure doesn't make it easy to use, but that's all I could find. Also Android isn't Linux, even the kernel part is a badly hacked variant.
    This, via this. They stopped allowing text relocations for new apps.

Comment

Originally posted by GrayShade View Post

This, via this. They stopped allowing text relocations for new apps.
      Well, if they disallow .text relocations they'll have the same issues as hardened Gentoo. But according to the bug report you linked it only causes problems for FFmpeg compiled for 32-bit x86 Android.
      As I explained, 32-bit x86 will have huge issues if you try to enforce no .text relocations.
      I would think not supporting 32-bit x86 Android would be a fairly reasonable solution to that (or with a assembly-free FFmpeg). Unfortunately Google doesn't seem to make per-app statistics available to check just how relevant or not that architecture is. Alternatively, do a special app build for it that claims to not support Android M and by my understanding you'll still be allowed to use .text relocations. So it's (so far at least) a pure policy decision by Google, not related to any immediate technical issues (even if the reason is POTENTIAL technical issues especially with heavy use of .text relocations).

Comment

No, PIE is essential for a modern operating system. The only people that would disable it are ricers.

Comment

Working...
        X