openSUSE Announces The Kubic Project For Designing Next-Gen Container OS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• openSUSE Announces The Kubic Project For Designing Next-Gen Container OS

Phoronix: openSUSE Announces The Kubic Project For Designing Next-Gen Container OS

The openSUSE project has announced "Kubic" as a new initiative around making their Linux operating system more container-friendly...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice, maybe in this OS Steam does not break.

Comment

I wonder when we'll start seeing more Exokernel designs, and Unikernels built with Mirage OS where a host VM will run the unikernels separate from each other.

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Nice, maybe in this OS Steam does not break.
      Solus OS has no issues with steam for me. Just installed through the gui and done.
      Last edited by profoundWHALE; 29 May 2017, 09:36 AM.

Comment

They'd be using different container formats I guess for headless services and GUI apps? Would be interesting to see how this pans out, a little similar to that OS that runs everything in VMs categorized in coloured windows I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by polarathene View Post
          They'd be using different container formats I guess for headless services and GUI apps? Would be interesting to see how this pans out, a little similar to that OS that runs everything in VMs categorized in coloured windows I guess?
          You mean Qubes? https://www.qubes-os.org/downloads/

Comment

Damn, this is all nice stuff. My brains starting to mush as a dabbler trying to perceive a lot of these VM and containerised techs.
            Hi

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
              Unikernels built with Mirage OS where a host VM will run the unikernels separate from each other.
              That looks EXACTLY like an exokernel implementation with the vm being the hardware multiplexer. What's the difference?

Comment

Originally posted by liam View Post
                That looks EXACTLY like an exokernel implementation with the vm being the hardware multiplexer. What's the difference?
                Answer: not much of a difference.
                Last edited by profoundWHALE; 31 May 2017, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  Yep that's the one I remember. It'd be interesting to see how openSUSE approaches it. I like to run QEMU/KVM for several VMs some with hardware passthrough, not sure how well that'll go if QEMU gets containerized or other tooling that intergrates with it like virsh/libvirt and virt-manager(GUI).

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post

Answer: not much of a difference.
                    I'm curious about the remaining difference, but your answer tells me enough.

Comment

Working...
                    X