Debian Installer Stretch RC4 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by suberimakuri View Post
    If already on Sid does this apply? "Experimental 4.11 is bulded with gcc-7 stretch and testing users shouldn't touch that"
    Actually that was desinformation from me as i readed just changelog there which mentioned fix for gcc 7 and gcc 7.1 is there, so i tought it is builded already with that, but it is not it is against 6.3 so you might try it...

edit: Blah kernl works on stretch, but actually complain something about efi something, hm... it might be slightly broken

I can't recommending this one from experimental, very recently they decided to not support Secure Boot with stretch actually, and before it was release blocker and was always two kernels of same version one signed and one unsigned, and now there is only one so probably some misconfiguretion leftover, but yeah something is not proper there with that 4.11 build from experimental
    Last edited by dungeon; 28 May 2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Okay cheers. Yeah signed unsigned was a pain.

Comment

can i use RC4 now, and will get fixed if Debian 9 get's out or better wait a bit on full release ?

Comment

Originally posted by berillions View Post
          I love Debian and i use it since i move to Linux 8 years ago. I always used Debian Stable and it will be the same thing for Stretch.
          But i have a small problem actually. I received my new Desktop with an AMD Ryzen which is "totally" supported since the kernel 4.11 ...

So someone has an idea to have the latest Kernel on Stretch before the real package from Debian packager ?
          I never compile the kernel myself so if a repository exist, it will good.

Thanks
          It's easy to build a kernel if you want to. You'll need to install some prerequisites. Download the source, extract it somewhere, enter the extracted directory, do a config, build, then install the result with your package manager.

1) Install prerequisites: sudo apt-get install fakeroot kernel-package libncurses5-dev libssl-dev -y
          2) Download source: http://www.kernel.org
          3) Extract: tar xf sourcepackagename.tar.xz
          4) Enter its directory: cd sourcepackagename
          5) Generate a config: make menuconfig (it will default to whatever options your current booted kernel was compiled with, but you can change anything or nothing--save when done)
          6) Extra step: nano .config / ctrl+w "CONFIG_SYSTEM_TRUSTED_KEYS" / set value to blank (ie "") / ctrl+c / y
          7) Compile: time fakeroot make-kpkg --initrd kernel_image -j16
          8) Enter directory with resulting deb: cd ..
          9) Install resulting deb: sudo dpkg -i kernelname.deb
          10) Reboot

Comment

Working...
          X