Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 6 Reaches Release Candidate Phase

Phoronix: Mageia 6 Reaches Release Candidate Phase

After being challenged by set backs, Mageia 6 is out in release candidate form...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

anyone ACTUALLY USE THIS SHIT

Comment

Since it only was just released as an RC a very short while ago I don't expect that anyone is using it yet (simple logic). As for your past claim that Mageia is a project that is slowly dying, we can see how obviously little sense your perspective makes.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
        what shit would that be may i ask?

Comment

You'd have more answers if you asked in french.

Comment

Ah trolls, and frist post to boot!

To answer your question, you left off the punctuation so I had to assume it was a question, heck yeah I use it although I would have picked a different adjective. I've been using Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake since Mandrake 7.2 released October 2000. Prior to that I was trying to use RedHat 7.0 but it was so buggy the kernel would crash in 31 days due to a file descriptor leak and it was the first distribution where there were calls to recall it.

So what did one get in 2000? Well Mandrake had urpmi which handled RPM dependency, something RedHat didn't, and any package installed showed up in all the desktops. Fast forward sixteen and a half years and Mageia is still primarily using urpmi but has added DNF and COPR to supplement urpmi. And even now any package installed shows up in all the desktops: Plasma 5, gnome, LXDE, Cinnamon, FVWM2, everything. A great thing about Mageia is the distribution is not tied to any desktop.

Mageia has its own steam RPM and ships with wine 2.0 stable although wine staging has removed the Mageia repository for Mageia 5 the Fedora 26 RPMs will install on Mageia 6.

Mageia is a well established, intuitive, friendly, polished and diverse distribution that is not only still kicking but has a commitment to its user base. I've been using Mageia 6, mostly to reap the advantages of Mesa 17 and Linux 4.9.x ESR and have found it to be an excellent OS.

Yeah, I'd have used a different adjective to describe Mageia, probably because it was around before Anvil was allowed to use the word "shit".

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              You'd have more answers if you asked in french.
              i reckon i'll get heaps , specially on this forum

Comment

Originally posted by gukin View Post

Ah trolls, and frist post to boot!

To answer your question, you left off the punctuation so I had to assume it was a question, heck yeah I use it although I would have picked a different adjective. I've been using Mageia/Mandriva/Mandrake since Mandrake 7.2 released October 2000. Prior to that I was trying to use RedHat 7.0 but it was so buggy the kernel would crash in 31 days due to a file descriptor leak and it was the first distribution where there were calls to recall it.

So what did one get in 2000? Well Mandrake had urpmi which handled RPM dependency, something RedHat didn't, and any package installed showed up in all the desktops. Fast forward sixteen and a half years and Mageia is still primarily using urpmi but has added DNF and COPR to supplement urpmi. And even now any package installed shows up in all the desktops: Plasma 5, gnome, LXDE, Cinnamon, FVWM2, everything. A great thing about Mageia is the distribution is not tied to any desktop.

Mageia has its own steam RPM and ships with wine 2.0 stable although wine staging has removed the Mageia repository for Mageia 5 the Fedora 26 RPMs will install on Mageia 6.

Mageia is a well established, intuitive, friendly, polished and diverse distribution that is not only still kicking but has a commitment to its user base. I've been using Mageia 6, mostly to reap the advantages of Mesa 17 and Linux 4.9.x ESR and have found it to be an excellent OS.

Yeah, I'd have used a different adjective to describe Mageia, probably because it was around before Anvil was allowed to use the word "shit".
                check ya spelling ya Douche before you press the POST button, is the word FRIST a French term?

URPMI has been DEAD for Years. atleast with Fedora you get the latest an Greatest WINE Packages. the kernel is up to date in Fedora, is that the case in Mag ? ( no idea, but i'll have a Guess an say NO. )
                Last edited by Anvil; 25 May 2017, 07:37 PM.

Comment

check ya spelling ya Douche before you press the POST button
                  Hah, says the guy who can't spell "your" or "you", who didn't make it past "frist". He obviously knows nothing about "frist post". Which reminds me of more great things about Mageia.

If you're a OSS purist, you can configure your Mageia to only use Free and repos, however you can also use non-free and "tainted" repos which may contain potentially copy written software such as codecs.

I also appreciate the compliment, douche is the french word for shower Def(a brief and usually light fall of rain). Everyone loves a nice spring rain.

Your (ya?) turn Anvil, we're the only two people reading this thread; unless Michael shuts us down and closes the thread.

Comment

check ya spelling ya Douche before you press the POST button
                    Congratulations, Anvil, we've finally found something you're good at: debasing yourself.

For those network-upgrading from 5.1 to 6RC by changing your urpmi sources from 5 to 6, you'll probably need to still use a USB stick or DVD to complete the whole process. I'll probably log a bug report or two about it by tonight after I've done some more testing.

Comment

Working...
                    X