Fedora's FESCo Is Okay With Fedora 26 In The Windows Store

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
    I somehow doubt they can get away with just secure-boot-ing other OSes away on the server side where Intel would probably never comply (which is why they opensourced .net + ported their database to Linux + ported Powershell), they are basically migrating their userspace on Linux.

WSL seems to be more of the same, to give developers what they want.

Write down these words, kid:
    In less than 10 years MS will "buy" their current sockpuppet Canonical and announce Microsoft Linux Server, maybe even Microsoft Linux Desktop.
    Or Winux, as it will be called by people like us.

Here is another analysis of the situation that more or less says similar things. http://www.businessinsider.com/micro...on-2016-4?IR=T
    I doubt that they'll be migrating their user space to Linux anytime soon.
    However, as the world moves to the 'cloud', MS is bleeding developer and IT mindshare and WSL is an attempt to stop (or at least slow down) the bleeding.

- Gilboa
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

They are doing this because even in Microsoft's Azure cloud system more and more people are running Linux in their VMs and not providing at least basic Linux functionality on Windows will drive developers away to macOS or Linux.
      Yep. This isn't hard to understand - it's nothing to do with MS being evil or whatever. It's purely the fact that around a third of the systems running on Azure are running Linux - not Windows - and Microsoft are happy to encourage that if it'll make money for them.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

Yep.
        "Developer" feature.

- Gilboa
        That doesn't really answer the question. I'm a developer, but I don't want to be fighting with my tools any more than I already do. If it's stable, great, it's a step up from Cygwin. If it's not stable then I'm not going to get work done.

Of course I'd need Windows 10 before I can use it anyway, and the thought of that makes me feel ill. At least it's not on my machine.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
          Anything that helps devs to make decent cross-platform applications is positive for me. Especially if made in Qt.
          Agreed - I'm developing cross platform apps in Qt, and I use Windows + MSYS2 because unfortunately there are some windows only applications I need to use at work. I might move to WSL once they iron out some more of the bugs, e.g. according to their bug tracker ninja doesn't work on it. Nonetheless, I wasn't saying it's a bad thing in and of itself, just that it's a risk to desktop linux marketshare.

Comment

Originally posted by randomizer View Post

That doesn't really answer the question. I'm a developer, but I don't want to be fighting with my tools any more than I already do. If it's stable, great, it's a step up from Cygwin. If it's not stable then I'm not going to get work done.

Of course I'd need Windows 10 before I can use it anyway, and the thought of that makes me feel ill. At least it's not on my machine.
            I've only started playing with it (on a VM running under Fedora... go figure), and it seems far faster than cygwin and, as long as you stick to the basic tools, quite stable (minus some missing 'kernel' functionality).

... But as I said, I've only started playing with it.

- Gilboa
            Last edited by gilboa; 15 May 2017, 12:26 PM.
            oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
            oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
            oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
              I don't think you can run GUI apps on WSL - atleast, not according to Wikipedia. AFAIK it's just for command line tools, and maybe server software.
              You can, actually. You just need to install an X server for Windows, e.g. Xming or VCXsrv, and set the DISPLAY environment variable.

Comment

Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

You can, actually. You just need to install an X server for Windows, e.g. Xming or VCXsrv, and set the DISPLAY environment variable.
                Thanks for VCXsrv.
                I've used Xming in the past (when forced to use Windows workstations), but their free version is locked at a very old X version (6.9).

It nice to see something that follows upstream (1.19) closely.

- Gilboa

Comment

Working...
                X