Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 Released

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

It is outdated as Windows 10, so i dunno why most people use 10 still but not Windows 11
    Were you referring to Stockholm syndrome or debian stable/stretch/testing/potato/sid/unstable/wth syndrome cuz I got confused here already?

Comment

Anyone knows why HURD is called hurd? Because it's hard to develope and deploy. :P
      Are there any statistics that shows the usage of it anyway?

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
        I'm familiar with debian family. Yet I consider Red Hat based distros a better solution. You don't have to move to totally different environment as Red Hat/Fedora(Korora)/QubesOS/CentOS/Scientific/(whatever_else_you _want) are based on exactly same principles/sources.
        Yet Fedora works pretty well and have almost latest software available. Current linux 4.11 in fedora 4.10.13, blender which I use 4.78c. Just look what version of blender you have in Ubuntu or in backports.
        Technically speaking, they are all just based off the same sources, they don't follow the same principle.
        Fedora is basically "RHEL testing".

So as I wrote it's good as a stable solution for server but not for workstation if you need latest 'revolutions' - blender - and you don't want to tinker with compilation etc.
        FYI, Blender ships as binary archive, unzip and run it's "install" script to add it to start menu.

But thx to everyone for good advices. I'm already on Linux for over a decade now.
        .... and you are still a noob.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce
          It does mean, if you use the stretch repository, only release critical bugs fix are allowed and not much to update, while testing gets packages from unstable as usual.
          It's obvious you don't understand the freeze process. I use Debian sid(uction), and even we get less updates during freeze. https://raphaelhertzog.com/2010/10/1...lease-process/

Originally posted by stefansaraev View Post
          it does not mean anything. I am using debian for 15 years and I dont like your tone to other people. Who told you that you are the best debian testing expert in the world?
          Yeah, as someone who uses Debian and xfce, I'm embarrased at a lot of debianxfce's posts.

Comment

Were you referring to Stockholm syndrome or debian stable/stretch/testing/potato/sid/unstable/wth syndrome cuz I got confused here already?
            Who wanna be confused he will be confused i guess

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Win10 is a rolling release atm.
              That is not rolling release, but enforced fixed sort of rolling 10 has EOL planned to 2025. with that for sure it is not constant rolling release, frequent updates does not mean it is rolling release, etc....
              Last edited by dungeon; 07 May 2017, 07:24 PM.

Comment

I think it should be Linux/GNU as GNU couldn't run without Linux. So, it is to you Stallman: Shut up already.
                read:

Comment

I think it should be Linux/GNU as GNU couldn't run without Linux. So, it is to you Stallman: Shut up already.
                  Tell that to everyone who used GNU tools on AIX, HPUX, AT&T System V, etc. etc. before Linux 0.1 was even considered.

I can pick proprietary drivers any day if they are way better than opened ones.
                  The distro that doesn't give you chance to choose between open source/proprietary doesn't give you freedom anyway.
                  This "freedom is slavery" bullshit is getting REALLY old.

The point is to make sure you can use your computer, not get used by your computer, and to ensure that if you DO install proprietary, barely-debugable, unfixable crap on your machine, you did so because you were knowledgeable about the risks involved and made a fully-informed decision to do so...and weren't bamboozled* into installing or using it.

If you decided to spend money on something without doing your research first, that's your own failure as a consumer. If you decide to stroke your ego instead of working to change things to be less locked-in, anti-consumer-rights, and anti-innovation, that's your own failure as a human being. Don't waste everyone's time with willful ignorance just to fit in with the herd mentality...or to troll poorly, for that matter.

* for values of "bamboozled" wherein the user is only given a brief, incomplete explanation. Or is just too stupid to bother researching further.
                  Last edited by mulenmar; 08 May 2017, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I can pick proprietary drivers any day if they are way better than opened ones.
                    The distro that doesn't give you chance to choose between open source/proprietary doesn't give you freedom anyway.
                    :~$ lsb_release -d
                    Description: Debian GNU/Linux 8.8 (jessie)
                    :~$ fglrxinfo
                    display: :0.0 screen: 0
                    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
                    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series
                    OpenGL version string: 4.5.13416 Compatibility Profile Context 15.302
                    Who tells you that there is no choice? You can choose in Debian to not run any blob firmwares, can choose opensource driver with firmwares or even blobs too. For any kind of blobs just enable non-free repo if you want that is fine or if you don't want that is fine too
                    Last edited by dungeon; 08 May 2017, 11:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

.... and you are still a noob.

I have to admit. That was deep. Did you take it from "Golden thoughts of starshipeleven" or something?
                      Yet again you make up your own reality that is purely based on your assumptions and nothing else.

Comment

Working...
                      X