Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trying Out The New Installer Of Ubuntu Server

Phoronix: Trying Out The New Installer Of Ubuntu Server

Ubuntu developers today have announced a "tech preview" of their new text-based installer for Ubuntu Server...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Still no clue what kind of problem this new installer's trying to solve. Come to think of it, much like the other once ambitious, then cancelled Canonical projects.

#justubuntuthings

Comment

Originally posted by anarki2 View Post
      Still no clue what kind of problem this new installer's trying to solve. Come to think of it, much like the other once ambitious, then cancelled Canonical projects.

#justubuntuthings
      Maybe they rewrote it in some NIH language (Ubuntuscript?) with draconian CLA being the most important distinguishing feature compared to other programming languages?

Comment

Ridiculous. These guys always trying to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
          new text-based installer
          Welcome to 2017. Even motherboard BIOS is full HD with full mouse/keyboard support. Text installer is still needed for all the servers running Hercules monitors...

Comment

The only installer that makes any sense at all on servers is one completely headless, graphics of any sort at deployment stage is just utterly useless shite... What really matters is the ability to do things remotely with flexible boot options, robust network setup and robust storage auto-partitiioning... And again, in that regard, nothing is wrong all with Debian installer, especially its net-install flavour.

Sure, the unattended debconf scripting can be improved, kickstart compatibility extended, ubuntu-server-specific options supported, but instead of doing that Ubuntu devs and "managers" opted to do yet another mir... Seriously guys.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

Welcome to 2017. Even motherboard BIOS is full HD with full mouse/keyboard support. Text installer is still needed for all the servers running Hercules monitors...
              Actually I think it's mostly the "Gamer" motherboards that have mouse support and visuals designed to appeal to 12-year-olds. You think someone installing a server in a server room wants to connect a mouse to it?

In many cases the installation also gets automated or done remotely (ie. via SSH). Well, at least that's what Debian's text-based installer is capable of, I do not understand why they are inventing the wheel here again.

Comment

Some people never learn. I guess we're just going to have to live with it.

Comment

BSD installer ftw
                  Last edited by rockworldmi; 22 April 2017, 04:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post

I think my motherboard's UEFI supports controllers. And it's a Z97 motherboard, too. O.o

Comment

Working...
                    X