Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RickXy View Post

But doesn't GRUB already support UEFI ?
    I have nothing but trouble with grub when installing new Linux distributions. How can you suggest it is something without problems?

Among other things, it seems extremely unreliable at recognizing bootable disks and partitions and offering them in a list. It seems overly dependent on configuration files and stops working in far too many situations. I have encountered the grub prompt numerous times for no good reason, and once there it seems to be end-user hell.

Comment

I'll be using a mobile phone connection for a few weeks, with limited traffic, so it's quite a pain I can't play with a new Solus release. The changes are awesome, and I will most likely end up using some free wifi to get an ISO one of these days.

If only I could bring some updates with me...

Comment

Originally posted by indepe View Post

I have nothing but trouble with grub when installing new Linux distributions. How can you suggest it is something without problems?

Among other things, it seems extremely unreliable at recognizing bootable disks and partitions and offering them in a list. It seems overly dependent on configuration files and stops working in far too many situations. I have encountered the grub prompt numerous times for no good reason, and once there it seems to be end-user hell.
        I am surprised that is the impression about Grub today. Grub was (and is) supposed to be the GRand Unified Boot. The configuration file is just a baseline, derived from your running configuration. Grub provides the flexibility, for the user, to alter the setting at runtime. I am not sure if you have used LILO, the previous default before Grub. You'd realize the value Grub has brought to boot loading.

I am still interested to know, what the newer Intel boot loader provides, that Grub doesn't have (or is broken in Grub)

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post

I am surprised that is the impression about Grub today. Grub was (and is) supposed to be the GRand Unified Boot. The configuration file is just a baseline, derived from your running configuration. Grub provides the flexibility, for the user, to alter the setting at runtime. I am not sure if you have used LILO, the previous default before Grub. You'd realize the value Grub has brought to boot loading.

I am still interested to know, what the newer Intel boot loader provides, that Grub doesn't have (or is broken in Grub)
          Grub provides the flexibility?

Comment

Working...
          X