Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
    Did it? I never looked at KDE 4 at all really,
    If you never "looked at KDE 4 at all really", then on what grounds do you say "KDE and LXDE can't get away from aping Windows (older Windows at this point, which frankly is a good thing)"?

Originally posted by roothorick View Post
    but the screenshots I'm finding are strikingly similar to Windows Vista.
    What about it, specifically? The desktop behaves pretty much completely differently in most ways. Again, GNOME fans were criticizing KDE 4 for doing exactly the things you are now praising GNOME 3 for doing.

Pretty much all the "daring" changes you listed for Gnome 3 were in KDE 4 first. Yes, GNOME 3 went further, but that is easy to do when KDE had already taken the risk and shown that it could be done. It is easy to be brave when someone else is taking all the risks.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

Basing on you Gnome's motto is: by idiots for idiots. Something funny for you:

http://www.cio.com/article/2881172/s...vironment.html

Too bad market share for 'reference Linux dekstop' is quite low on Linux.

KDE however, should get rid of stupid people:

https://www.ixsystems.com/blog/in-5-...loper/#respond

It's more likely in five years there will be no PC-BSD/FreeBSD at all.
      KDE is a bag of hurt. To claim it is the most advanced Desktop over Window not, but OS X, give me an effing break. Not even close.

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

Can you prove that water is wet over the Internet?
        Sure. Find some water. Stick your hand in it. Does it feel wet? QED!

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post
          Do you know single gtk+ music player which doesn't suck?
          Audacious Media Player.
          1. It's rock-solid despite being descended from XMMS via the Beep Media Player port to GTK+ 2.x, which was a notorious crash factory.
          2. It has a bundled set of format and feature plugins more comprehensive than anything else on offer including GStreamer-based players with the -good, -bad, and -ugly GST plugin bundles installed. (Though, by design, Audacious only plays the audio track from video files.)
          3. The UI plugin it defaults to is Foobar2000-like, including the ability to dock various things to the main window and adjust the splits and layout.

(Though I will admit that the ability to dock things isn't exactly discoverable. Any dockable window will have a tiny "header label" at the top of the window contents which you can right-click. I run it in a narrow configuration more like a GTK+-native version of the old playlist-below-main configuration I used with WinAMP 2.x and XMMS.)
          It's got various other things to recommend it, but I think that's enough for you to decide whether to investigate further on your own.
          Last edited by ssokolow; 15 April 2017, 12:36 PM.

Comment

As a KDE fan myself I have often thought about why Canonical never considered KDE and was always for Gnome. Then I realized it .... other than thie Unity and MIR affair they've always been looking to take advantage of someone else's work on open source Linux.
            In the case of Gnome most of the work is already done by Red Hat for Fedora so there is good commercial level maintenance of the code and such. Also Debian seems to favor Gnome even though they also package KDE.
            All this makes is easy for Canonical to do what they do best, take advantage of someone else's work, do some minimal packaging and maintence, slap on the Ubuntu badge and shit it like it's theirs.
            Given how open source works this is totally OK from a legal point of view.
            This is why they're dropping Unity, to skip on the costs of development, not because people didn't like it. This is also why they're not going for KDE, it would cost them more to maintain it and contribute upstream. Plus KDE seems more bloated and the KDE devs have all these ideas why on the Gnome side there's just mostly Red Hat as I said.

Comment

Working...
            X