No announcement yet.

Ubuntu GNOME Will No Longer Be A Separate Flavor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is one of the reasons I use Arch, no default, just install what you want or need on top the base system

Comment

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post

The ironic thing about this post was that when KDE 4 came out, Gnome fans criticized it for being too different from Windows and other existing DEs.
      That was when Linus Torvalds famously abandoned KDE and went to GNOME, if you remember.

Me, I tried it on my Asus Eee 701 with the 900MHz Celeron processor, and I enjoyed getting the 3D effects to work. You know, the sort of effects that Windows Vista needed something like an order of magnitude greater processor power to manage?

Comment

the title of this thread should be: the water is wet.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
          the title of this thread should be: the water is wet.
          Can you prove that water is wet over the Internet?

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
            For me as a KDE user this fight Unity against Gnome is a full joke...

why not just also drop gnome and go for KDE ? No more Fragmentation!...
            Because [insert your favorite DE] is better. I personally don't care about DE fragmentation as long all of them are following freedesktop.org standards.

Comment

Originally posted by Qaridarium
              For me as a KDE user this fight Unity against Gnome is a full joke...

why not just also drop gnome and go for KDE ? No more Fragmentation!...
              I would go for a KDE in a fraction of a second, if it weren't for that stupid limitation that I can't switch virtual desktops independently on every monitor. Seriously, each and every of the tiling WMs can do that, why can't KWin?

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

I would go for a KDE in a fraction of a second, if it weren't for that stupid limitation that I can't switch virtual desktops independently on every monitor. Seriously, each and every of the tiling WMs can do that, why can't KWin?
                Because that would violate the freedesktop.org spec that most desktop environments follow to improve compatibility. It only allows one "current desktop" to be specified across all displays.

Having virtual desktops changed independently on different monitors would cause problems for windows that span multiple monitors. This should result in part of the window being visible and part of it not, but the freedesktop.org spec doesn't provide any way for windows to handle this situation, which means if KDE provided it then it would only work on KDE applications, and GNOME applications would do who knows what under that situation.
                Last edited by TheBlackCat; 14 April 2017, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by MoonMoon View Post

kde had a lot of multi monitor issues. it was really frustrating. last bug i had was that my monitors kept switching software wise somehow everytime my computer woke.

Comment

Originally posted by Pawlerson View Post

The problem is you weren't commenting desktop environments, but repeating about toxicity in discussion all the time. It's like telling some homeless guy he's homeless and should find some home. You're not helping him this way.
                    I was responding to the second response to this thread, which is how long it took for someone to derail the discussion. The post I was responding to wasn't talking about desktop environments either, and instead was someone sharing their hate filled fantasy about Ubuntu GNOME devs tearing the community apart for no clear reason. This is absolutely toxic behavior and our community isn't going to change unless we start pointing it out. It was also every bit as topical as the post I was replying to. Off topic? A little, but only because the post I was replying to had already taking the train way off the rails.

My reply was also much more constructive than yours. How exactly did questioning my childhood add to the discussion? How did your personal attacks relate to desktop environments?

To use your own analogy, telling someone who is homeless that they are homeless in this context would have been telling the poster that I didn't like what they said. Instead I told them **why** I didn't like it and hopefully made them think about their reasoning for spewing such venom. To further extend the analogy it would be as if I found a homeless person and am taking time to tell them exactly why they are homeless and pointing them in the direction of shelter.

My goals in pointing out the completely unnecessary meanness and other harmful counter-productive behavior are many. I hope the person I'm replying directly to will take heed and think twice the next time they want to share their anger with the world. Maybe if it gets pointed out a few times they'll begin to realize there are real people on the other end who deserve respectful and thoughtful discussion. I hope people who are inclined to join the angry mob will read my reply and be at least a little discouraged. I hope many people reading the thread and not posting who are sickened by the tone of some of the comments will read mine and feel slightly better, realizing they are not alone in their dislike of the vocal minority destroying discourse in linux communities. A small part of me even hopes other angry individuals will level baseless personal attacks at me, further underlining my critique and demonstrating the toxicity I seek to eradicate.

Thank you for helping me achieve all my goals today in this thread.

I love technology, especially open source software. This should be the most pleasant and cooperative community in the world and it baffles me that it's often not. If someone doesn't like Ubuntu, fine, don't use it. But why get so angry at the giant efforts others are putting into creating amazing software? And, if they come to the table and ask to work with you on something mutually beneficial why would you even for a second consider saying "no, I'll never work with *you* because *reasons*." The resources Canonical could bring to the GNOME project are pretty immense, and although I'm sad to see Unity go I'm excited to see what GNOME and Canonical can do together. Theoretically this should be pretty friction-less since Shuttleworth has pledged to follow GNOME's design direction and deliver GNOME the way they intend.

However, some people get their egos and identities wrapped up in past "injustices" and have strange rules of "morality" and "purity" in open source communities. Luckily for us this seems to afflict linux "enthusiasts" more than the actual developers, so maybe the projects can come together even as the user bases vehemently attack each other. Still more friction even on the developer side than you'd expect given the stated ethos of open source.

I honestly hope this changes. My efforts here might not make a big impact, but I'm at least trying. FWIW I also organize developer events locally and work hard to ensure a safe, inviting, and friendly atmosphere there as well.

Comment

Originally posted by DebianXFCE Jr View Post
                      That was painful to watch... he got everything wrong about the activities overview. Everything. And then bashed it thoroughly for his complete misunderstanding. Has this guy never heard of a super / "Windows" (ugh) key? And it's like the search bar doesn't exist to him.

Originally posted by TheBlackCat View Post
                      Then Gnome 3 came out, and it had many of the things people criticized KDE 4 for having. And suddenly the same people who just a couple years before were criticizing KDE for being too different suddenly were criticizing it for being too similar. How quickly people forget that it was KDE that originally pioneered breaking from the original desktop paradigm. Do you really think Gnome would have done that if KDE hadn't taken initial risk and shown it could be done?
                      Did it? I never looked at KDE 4 at all really, but the screenshots I'm finding are strikingly similar to Windows Vista.

You could credit Mezzo and to a lesser extent Kuartet for pioneering the ideas that eventually went into Gnome 3, but neither of them implemented those ideas terribly well.
                      Last edited by roothorick; 14 April 2017, 02:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X