Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Getting Better Radeon Polaris Performance On Ubuntu 17.04 With Mesa 17.1, Linux 4.11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting Better Radeon Polaris Performance On Ubuntu 17.04 With Mesa 17.1, Linux 4.11

Phoronix: Getting Better Radeon Polaris Performance On Ubuntu 17.04 With Mesa 17.1, Linux 4.11

While Ubuntu 17.04 is set to ship next month with Linux 4.10 and Mesa 17.0 as a big upgrade over the open-source graphics stack found in Ubuntu 16.10, if you switch over to using Mesa 17.1 and Linux 4.11 is the potential for even better performance. Here are some Radeon RX 470 tests in different combinations on Ubuntu 17.04...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Nice to see the open source drivers improving with each point release! And by so much!
    I personally found Mesa 17 to be more reliable for gaming than AMDGPU-PRO, as well as giving much better performance...
    For instance Cities: Skylines hits 60fps on MESA 17.0.x while on AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 (same scene, same RX 480 8GB+i7-3770T+16GB RAM machine) it doesn't break 30fps, while also producing artefacts and graphics glitches.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
    It is much simpler to use a rolling release operation system than think about version numbers. Also using a non nebug, no cpu freq governor, 1000Hz timer custom kernel speed ups your computer and can solve many desktop related problems especially with low end hardware.
    True rolling release distros also come with their own issues, especially when it comes to running propietary software on them (like Steam and Steam games).
    So it's safe to say that point release distros are better for some use cases, while rolling release distros excel in other areas.

You need to pick one that fits for your own needs... sure, anything can be a hammer if you try hard enough, but it's a lot easier to pick a tool for the job.

Comment

Originally posted by OneBitUser View Post
      Nice to see the open source drivers improving with each point release! And by so much!
      I personally found Mesa 17 to be more reliable for gaming than AMDGPU-PRO, as well as giving much better performance...
      For instance Cities: Skylines hits 60fps on MESA 17.0.x while on AMDGPU-PRO 16.60 (same scene, same RX 480 8GB+i7-3770T+16GB RAM machine) it doesn't break 30fps, while also producing artefacts and graphics glitches.

True rolling release distros also come with their own issues, especially when it comes to running propietary software on them (like Steam and Steam games).
      So it's safe to say that point release distros are better for some use cases, while rolling release distros excel in other areas.

You need to pick one that fits for your own needs... sure, anything can be a hammer if you try hard enough, but it's a lot easier to pick a tool for the job.

One of the frustrations I've had with Linux and why my laptop is a Mac OS machine is that you get into a damned if you do or if you don't situation. With point releases you often had to upgrade to get new features for the mainstream software but then spent undoing breakage of less mainstream software. A rolling release might be better here, i really don't know. Also this was way back in 2008 that i gave up on Linux as a desktop solution. I know things have changed drastically since as i run linux in a VM and on other hardware. I still get the feeling that the rapid releases cause more problems than they solve. Having to install a new distro every six months is down right frustrating, thus the interest in rolling releases.

So the question is what is the status of the rolling releases? Are they beta quality? Stable? Lots of questions but i hope to get a Ryzen box this year.

Comment

Working...
      X