No announcement yet.

Google Is Making It Possible To Run Android Studio On ChromeOS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Too much overhead for such weak computers. They'd benefit from native games.

Comment

Google should make Android Studio to be able to run on Android itself. As well as other development tools, finally making Android self-sufficient.

Comment

Then it would be nice to see a powerful chromebook capable of running the IDE and doing heavy operations such as compiling.

Needs 8-16 GB RAM and 4-8 CPU cores.

Comment

I just wish Android Studio was available as Snap or Flatpak package, because I don't want to install Java system-wide.

Comment

Originally posted by sandy8925 View Post
            This way, game developers don't have to provide​ binaries for each CPU/architecture, and it can run on a wide variety of computers, even ones running older operating systems.
            The reasons are so obvious why that will never work for games.

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post
              Google should make Android Studio to be able to run on Android itself. As well as other development tools, finally making Android self-sufficient.
              There is Terminal IDE and Kevin Boon's KBOX which basically provide a terminal session including Vim and all the tools needed for Java and C++ development. Though both feel a little hacky and are a bit out of date, it does allow Android to be self sufficient.

I used to use an Ouya, bluetooth keyboard and KBOX in this way until I just decided that a Raspberry Pi was more useful and flexible for this kind of development lol.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                I just wish Android Studio was available as Snap or Flatpak package, because I don't want to install Java system-wide.
                Android Studio has been shipping with its own integrated Java bundle for some time now, you don't need to install Java system-wide.

Comment

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
                  Having this Android IDE on Chrome OS makes it possible to both test and run Android apps, something not available for native testing when developing Android apps on Linux, macOS, or Windows.
                  I wish that Google would instead port Arc++ from Chrome OS so that Android apps could be run/tested on traditional Linux with native performance.

Comment

Originally posted by shmerl View Post
                    Google should make running Linux games on ChromeOS easy, without resorting to chroot.
                    The whole premise of Chrome OS is to have a secure, sandboxed operating system with little to no administrative access.
                    Running plain Linux applications would break that behaviour.

Comment

Originally posted by uid313 View Post
                      Then it would be nice to see a powerful chromebook capable of running the IDE and doing heavy operations such as compiling.

Needs 8-16 GB RAM and 4-8 CPU cores.
                      There are now several higher end CBs. There is a m7, 16 GB RAM, from HP. There are other higher ends from Dell and Thinkpad, etc.

Comment

Working...
                      X