Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google Is Making It Possible To Run Android Studio On ChromeOS

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Google Is Making It Possible To Run Android Studio On ChromeOS

    Phoronix: Google Is Making It Possible To Run Android Studio On ChromeOS

    Google is working on Android Studio support atop Chrome OS. With this official Android integrated development environment on Chrome OS, could it make Chromebooks/Chromeboxes a great platform for Android development?..

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...tudio-ChromeOS

  • #2
    Glad to see the Wayland infrastructure is helping folks make new things happen for the mass market.

    Comment


    • #3
      Trying to do some NDK work on Android, and predictably one of my biggest impediments has been Android Studio. After a recent update, something cached somewhere caused AS to falsely report a version conflict with its own version of Gradle. *sigh*

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by coder View Post
        Trying to do some NDK work on Android, and predictably one of my biggest impediments has been Android Studio. After a recent update, something cached somewhere caused AS to falsely report a version conflict with its own version of Gradle. *sigh*
        Isn’t that typical of all IDEs?

        Comment


        • #5
          Google should make running Linux games on ChromeOS easy, without resorting to chroot.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by shmerl View Post
            Google should make running Linux games on ChromeOS easy, without resorting to chroot.
            I doubt it; even though there aren't many ARM based Chromebooks, giving the x86 models features the ARM books don't have will make some of their Chromebook partners very unhappy.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by chimpy View Post

              I doubt it; even though there aren't many ARM based Chromebooks, giving the x86 models features the ARM books don't have will make some of their Chromebook partners very unhappy.
              Nothing stops Google from pitching developers to release games for ARM Linux too. They have the power to do the legwork.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
                Isn’t that typical of all IDEs?
                I did say "predictably", didn't I?

                Comment


                • #9
                  I've been wondering all this time - where are the companies selling pre-configured ready to use Android Developer laptops? You'd think someone​ would have started doing that in the last few years.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Well, I think Google's​ probably more interested in promoting WebGL, WebAssembly etc. and have games written in HTML or some other portable language/framework that runs in browsers. This way, game developers don't have to provide​ binaries for each CPU/architecture, and it can run on a wide variety of computers, even ones running older operating systems.

                    The main reason Google is so interested in the web is because their main products (Google Search, YouTube, Docs etc.) are all websites/web services. The only way to make their products easily accessible and to make them better, is to spend a lot of time improving web browsers' capabilities.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X