Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

AC3 Codec Coming For Fedora 26

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • AC3 Codec Coming For Fedora 26

    Phoronix: AC3 Codec Coming For Fedora 26

    Fedora Workstation 26 will be receiving official AC3 codec support...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...a-26-AC3-Codec

  • #2
    Michael, I think you mean "Dolby Digital". "Dolby Surround" was the consumer version of the original theatre "Dolby Stereo" multi-channel audio system from 1982.

    Comment


    • #3
      Yes, that should be Dolby Digital, or more neutrally, A/52. Dolby Surround is an analog method of encoding and decoding surround channels to and from stereo signals.

      Comment


      • #4
        EDIT:
        Repost
        Last edited by schmidtbag; 03-22-2017, 10:39 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Interesting about the patents, does this mean we should be able to see live encoding for DD with 5.1 channels?

          Comment


          • #6
            It seems some patent pages mention that mp3 still has 3 patents more to go, the rest will expire in few weeks. For example

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
              Interesting about the patents, does this mean we should be able to see live encoding for DD with 5.1 channels?
              There's still latency involved. Depends on your hardware and software stack if it is usable. Pulseaudio might favor large buffers which are great for not dropping music, but not for low latency stuff.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by caligula View Post

                There's still latency involved. Depends on your hardware and software stack if it is usable. Pulseaudio might favor large buffers which are great for not dropping music, but not for low latency stuff.
                There is latency but it isn't that bad. I currently use live 5.1 encoding to to dca @48k/24bit over S/PDIF through pulseaudio with a high quality custom resampler since the latency is slightly lower than a/52 encoding. With mpd I'm pretty satisfied with it for everything I've thrown at it.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Yawn, I'm still waiting for surround sound headphones. I want a speaker on each ear, two speakers on my forehead, and subwoofer backpack.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
                    Yawn, I'm still waiting for surround sound headphones. I want a speaker on each ear, two speakers on my forehead, and subwoofer backpack.
                    You don’t need that.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X