Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 26 Alpha Has Been Delayed

Phoronix: Fedora 26 Alpha Has Been Delayed

Fedora 26 Alpha isn't going to make it out on time and has been delayed, pushing back the final F26 already by a second time...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

In before "how surprising", "like always", "what else is new", and any other variant of the sort

Comment

They should really start giving more vague estimates or SOMETHING to alleviate the perception of delays.

Comment

shame they ( Fedora ) didnt start the ( NOMOREALPHA ) during F26 . its a waste of time IMO , fedora has always had delays of alpha releases anyway

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post
          In before "how surprising", "like always", "what else is new", and any other variant of the sort
          Well, there's good reason for that cynicism, isn't there? I mean, in fourteen-odd years of Fedora, the number of on-time releases is pretty close to zero.

And really, it's not like anyone cares... not like the Fedora fans are all sitting on the edge of their seats in eager anticipation of the next alpha. We know it's going to be late... it's practically a tradition, so at this point we'd probably complain if they put one out on time (they'd be going against everything the project stands for!!!).

Comment

i reckon Gnome 3.24 will get into RHEL8 so they'll wanna get this right

Comment

If us Fedora users were really upset about delays we'd be running Rawhide. Heh.

Note: I tried running Rawhide one time. I figured that after running Gentoo, how bad could it be? Yeah...

At least in my limited experience, Rawhide does not care at all about breaking things and will happily destroy your GUI config, unrecoverably. So you'd better have a full system backup or snapshot before running ANY update commands.

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post
                i reckon Gnome 3.24 will get into RHEL8 so they'll wanna get this right
                Not really.

This one actually kinda annoyed me, because there was no real reason this needed to be delayed. The problem was that FreeIPA was badly broken...but we already found and reported that three months ago. It just didn't start getting *fixed* until about a week ago, and by that time, all sorts of other bugs were lurking behind the *first* bug, because the first bug had been sitting around for months preventing us testing any further.

I've been trying for a long time now to get people to buy into fixing blocker bugs early, when they're discovered, instead of waiting until it's "more critical". But sometimes the message just doesn't get through...

Comment

Originally posted by AdamW View Post

Not really.

This one actually kinda annoyed me, because there was no real reason this needed to be delayed. The problem was that FreeIPA was badly broken...but we already found and reported that three months ago. It just didn't start getting *fixed* until about a week ago, and by that time, all sorts of other bugs were lurking behind the *first* bug, because the first bug had been sitting around for months preventing us testing any further.

I've been trying for a long time now to get people to buy into fixing blocker bugs early, when they're discovered, instead of waiting until it's "more critical". But sometimes the message just doesn't get through...
                  hmm ok. yeah i knew about FreeIPA issue. you could probably blame upstream? as they havent been all that fast either. i see 4.5.0 of freeipa is out, with Bugfixes from 4.4.x series gone into 4.5 https://www.freeipa.org/page/Releases/4.5.0#Bug_fixes
                  Last edited by Anvil; 18 March 2017, 11:34 PM.

Comment

Working...
                  X