Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Linux Mint Debian Edition Updated (LMDE 2)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Linux Mint Debian Edition Updated (LMDE 2)

    Phoronix: Linux Mint Debian Edition Updated (LMDE 2)

    LMDE, the Linux Mint Debian Edition that's using Debian GNU/Linux as a base in place of Ubuntu, has out new ISO images...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...E-2-March-2017

  • #2
    Does it drops the marvellous SysVinit ?
    If so, sorry, but I want sysvinit back again...I decline.

    Comment


    • #3
      Update once per 2 years is joke.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
        Does it drops the marvellous SysVinit ?
        If so, sorry, but I want sysvinit back again...I decline.
        It took someone over an hour and a half to complain about systemd. You're losing your touch.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by ruthan View Post
          Update once per 2 years is joke.
          That's not right.

          This is a release of new ISO images, prepared so that if you install now you won't have to download a plethora of updates. If you spent two seconds to find the notes [1], you would read: "No upgrade is needed. If you are running LMDE 2, you already have access to all the updates included in this re-release."

          In case you are wondering, no, I don't use Mint at all.

          [1] http://blog.linuxmint.com/?p=3232

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by tuxd3v View Post
            Does it drops the marvellous SysVinit ?
            If so, sorry, but I want sysvinit back again...I decline.
            It's based on and aims for 100% compatibility with Debian.

            Let's be honest: Sysvinit is good riddance. It's about time it's gone.

            Systemd is huge, complex, does way more stuff than an init system ought to do... if things keep going like this it will endup having it's own kernel, office suite, browser, etc. <insert sarcasm> Bottom line, it's a huge mess.

            That said:
            Systemd is way better than any other alternative out there (for desktops. for android it would be unpractical).
            But most of all, it works fairly well.

            So... i think we can live with it.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by ruthan View Post
              Update once per 2 years is joke.
              It's a rolling release...

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                It's a rolling release...
                AFAIK, LMDE 2 is based on Debian Jessie so fixed stable release... they only roll DE and mint tools versions basically on average.

                Minty variant of Debian 8
                Last edited by dungeon; 03-13-2017, 12:53 PM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post
                  Systemd is huge, complex, does way more stuff than an init system ought to do... if things keep going like this it will endup having it's own kernel, office suite, browser, etc. <insert sarcasm> Bottom line, it's a huge mess.
                  Systemd was blamed because it violates the UNIX philosophy that each task do only one thing. But in reality not all thing can do things good on its own.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by dbpalan View Post

                    Systemd was blamed because it violates the UNIX philosophy that each task do only one thing.
                    Yes.
                    But i don't really understand what you mean by
                    Originally posted by dbpalan View Post
                    But in reality not all thing can do things good on its own.
                    Do you mean that it does many things but none of it is well done?
                    Or do you mean that it's impossible in this case for it to do just one thing, while doing it well?

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X