Ubuntu 17.04 Preparing To Land X.Org Server 1.19.2 + Mesa 17.0.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by damonlynch View Post
    I hope these package updates fix the problem I'm seeing where a full screen terminal or terminal on the left-side results in the screen image "vibrating" intensely. I see it on a GTX 1070, and it happens with the terminal is filled with text. I have no idea if it's a problem with compiz or X.Org or the kernel or the binary driver or anything else. It's definitely the strangest problem I've seen after using desktop Linux for 15 years.
    That's most likely a problem with the kernel (binary blob) driver. Or your hardware. There's nothing Compiz or x.org can do that would cause that.

Comment

Originally posted by czz0 View Post

Obviously, instead you have to wait for Nvidia to release their drivers, it's not like that's better. You could update mesa every time someone makes a commit if you wanted to, Nvidia often leaves you unable to upgrade Xorg or your kernel for 1 month+ because you need to wait for a driver release from Nvidia that supports it.
      Actually it is better. If you compile for git or maybe if you're on a rolling distribution, yes, you probably have to wait a bit for the driver to catch up (try doing the same with AMD's blob). But if you're on a regular distro like Ubuntu or Fedora, the drivers are out before a new version is released. I literally haven't had that problem on Ubuntu for almost 10 years now.

Comment

Of little value atm in Ubuntu (117.04) as 'PRIME synchronization' does not work, at least when using nvidia drivers via nvidia prime.

Comment

Working...
        X