Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More Benchmarks Of The Latest Ubuntu 17.04 vs. Clear Linux

Phoronix: More Benchmarks Of The Latest Ubuntu 17.04 vs. Clear Linux

Last week I posted Benchmarks Of Ubuntu 17.04 Beta vs. Antergos, Clear Linux, openSUSE Tumbleweed. Those results were interesting and as usual Clear Linux had led many of the benchmarks due to Intel's investments into highly optimizing this Linux distribution for the maximum out-of-the-box performance. For curiosity sake, I ran some fresh benchmarks of Ubuntu 17.04 daily vs. Clear Linux on another test system and have those results to share...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So there we have it - modern compiler optimizations pay off.
    Official mozilla firefox binaries are 10-20% faster than what distributions ship, simply because mozilla makes use of what compilers have to offer.

I wonder how long Fedora, Ubuntu et al. can ignore the gains and compile even the most important packages with -O2, like they did for the last 20 years.

Comment

clearlinux is the supreme linux distro. no other distro can compete with it.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
        Gentoo.

Comment

for intel workstations seems to be. But afaik any distro could integrate whatever makes clear linux so fast on intel hardware

Comment

Originally posted by edoantonioco View Post

for intel workstations seems to be. But afaik any distro could integrate whatever makes clear linux so fast on intel hardware
            I wish they all did.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

I wish they all did.
              What would be the first or most important step?

BTW, is there a way to install Mesa/AMD/NVidia support, or are thinking of providing one?

Comment

The scimark score doesn't make sense. You have a 3.5GHz Xeon, yet a composite score of ~1250. My 2.9GHz haswell mobile achieves a composite score of >2800
                (even a 3.5ghz amd carrizo achieves a composite score of ~2100). You must be using binaries compiled to the lowest common x64 denominator.

Comment

Originally posted by arjan_intel View Post

I wish they all did.

Have you tried to talking to some of the main distributions? Maybe it would entice them more than third party benchmarks.

Comment

https://t2-project.org ;-)

I prefer my personal binaries with -Os though, often faster anyways. Would even use the extra gain of the x32 abi, if I there would finally be valgrind support for that, ...

Comment

Working...
                    X