Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 27 Aiming To Drop Out Alpha Releases

Phoronix: Fedora 27 Aiming To Drop Out Alpha Releases

In a similar effort to Ubuntu itself not issuing alpha/beta releases the past few years as they focused on the quality of their daily ISOs instead, Fedora developers have been discussing a similar maneuver of beginning to drop alpha releases from their schedule...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

i hope they do drop the official Alpha as its pointless having one now IMO.

Comment

Currently using Fedora 25 at home, and it's my favorite linux distro. After a couple of years using debian/ubuntu derivatives. Very happy with it whether I am doing work or entertaining myself. Also a slick modern gnome GUI and it's the first time I have used a modern UI that helped me get work done rather than get in the way like unity, windows8 metro etc.

I was surprised I like Fedora so much because I am a noob and I had been told that Fedora is meant for advanced users.

Comment

This is a bit funny news in the sense that my impression of it is that the core change is not the dropping of alpha releases but increase in Rawhide stability essentially making it a rolling release for developers

Comment

Originally posted by nanonyme View Post
          This is a bit funny news in the sense that my impression of it is that the core change is not the dropping of alpha releases but increase in Rawhide stability essentially making it a rolling release for developers
          No. Ubuntu doesnt do Alpha, Rawhide has always been a Rolling Release, in essence F27 Alpha would be a Rawhide Kinda release untill Beta, then it would FREEZE at some point where only Fix's would get in.

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post
            Currently using Fedora 25 at home, and it's my favorite linux distro. After a couple of years using debian/ubuntu derivatives. Very happy with it whether I am doing work or entertaining myself. Also a slick modern gnome GUI and it's the first time I have used a modern UI that helped me get work done rather than get in the way like unity, windows8 metro etc.

I was surprised I like Fedora so much because I am a noob and I had been told that Fedora is meant for advanced users.
            Strange. I always heard that Fedora was a great distro for beginners and non-Ubuntu people have been usually angry because Fedora should've gotten the prime time Ubuntu got.

But I don't know, I don't really have any experience with Fedora (and gave up using Ubuntu a long time ago).

Comment

Originally posted by Anvil View Post

No. Ubuntu doesnt do Alpha, Rawhide has always been a Rolling Release, in essence F27 Alpha would be a Rawhide Kinda release untill Beta, then it would FREEZE at some point where only Fix's would get in.
              I don't see how what Ubuntu does is relevant. Yes, Rawhide has always been rolling but it hasn't had stability guarantees before

Comment

Originally posted by humbug View Post

Humm
                Have you tried Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition?

Comment

Alpha releases bring nothing (or little) new stuff, and are not stable.
                  I don't think i ever tested an alpha version. Seems pointless to me.
                  So, this looks like a good decision that all distros should adopt.

Comment

Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

Humm
                    Have you tried Linux Mint Cinnamon Edition?
                    yes, I installed it on my mum's laptop and she is happy with it despite only having used windows previously.
                    But for me on my desktop I have an AMD R9 290 graphics card for gaming and the 3d performance is currently regressed when using anything from ubuntu with kernel 4.7 or newer. The only way to fix it on mint or ubuntu is switch to AMDGPU DRM kernel driver which I don't know how to do. Michael has written about this regression and does not benchmark the r9 290 these days as a result. It becomes unusably slow cause it is not clocking up. On fedora 25 for me no such issues, my steam games work smoothly even with the newest kernels. Until this is fixed or they enable AMDGPU drm in the kernel I don't think I should move away from fedora where everything works.
                    Last edited by humbug; 21 February 2017, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X