The State Of Flatpak vs. Snaps On Various Linux Distributions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

That is false from a logic point of view. When bicycle rim is not 100% ok (bent, broken pins etc.) it is non usable. There is no Rosegarden music creation software and Zasf software synth in Solus.packages.

Similar way many other apps are missing.
    And here comes the shocking part (brace for it): in my 15+ years with Linux, not once have I needed music creation software, making Solus a perfectly good candidate in my eyes.
    Another weird thing we do when our distro of choice doesn't package X or Y (brace for shock #2), we use tarballs!
    Last edited by bug77; 10 February 2017, 11:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
      Does anybody really care about flatpak and snaps? To me it seems like yet another linux holy war that is reinventing the wheel and not contributing much to the ecosystem. Tell me ONE advatnage over rpm/apt.
      Any scheme that promotes static linking is step in the right direction.

Comment

Sure you find some app that is missing in Solus.

Of course it does, it is same not freely reconfigurable and resource hog like Ubuntu.

"
        distribution's resource utilization, it consumes about 700MB to 800MB of RAM in an idle mod
        "
        You are full of shit. But what can I expect from someone named "debianxfce"?

Debian deserves it's praise for being one of the big OSS Linux distros, but it's by no means some higher entity. For one it doesn't have Clear Linux's optimizations like Solus does. It also fucks (at first installation) any user that might need some proprietary driver/stuff (the opposite of the live cd where stuff works).

And XFECES is kinda of a joke. It took years for it to fix some of it's bug. It's STILL NOT GTK3. The devs were fucking around for a long time deciding if they would go QT or GTK3. It's compositor also is so SHIT that many of the complains you hear about "I'm getting screen tearing pls halp" are because of it, and then people are told to just use compton because of how shitty xfce's compositor is. I could go on...

And BTW, budgie ACTUALLY uses 550mb on idle (the rest is cache+buffer, like /tmp that is mounted to ram which makes things faster by default). That distrowatch "review" was a joke. Mate on Solus uses less. And if you use something like i3 or openbox even less still.

That thinking is also retarded, RAM usage does not equal being lightweight (you can have a system that uses 300mb on idle, but if it has excessive animations for everything it will feel slower on weaker hardware than something that uses more RAM but no animations, for example).

Also, I know you are a troll... so I'm answering this for anyone that might think you have a point.
        Last edited by NihilMomentum; 10 February 2017, 01:42 PM.

Comment

**grabs popcorn**

Comment

Originally posted by ikey_solus View Post
            **grabs popcorn**
            Now don't go feeding the troll with that popcorn Ikey. I already fed it enough.
            Last edited by NihilMomentum; 10 February 2017, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
              Does anybody really care about flatpak and snaps? To me it seems like yet another linux holy war that is reinventing the wheel and not contributing much to the ecosystem. Tell me ONE advatnage over rpm/apt.
              I can see the benefit for games on GNU/Linux as the developer can make sure to have the most up to date or specific library that the OS may not have.

Comment

Originally posted by jKicker View Post
                Have you ever wanted to make a release of your application for Linux in general and have it updated? Well that's where they come in. For OSX, Windows, iOS, Android etc you just build and distribute your app. For linux you need to create multiple packages for multiple distributions so you spend more time on building your app than developing. Unless you are popular enough so that distribution packagers do it themselves. And then you still can't update that.
                so it's all about updating? apart that, can you tell me the difference from a functioning shell installer? (see https://assets.unigine.com/d/Unigine_Heaven-4.0.run as an example)

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Another weird thins we do when our distro of choice doesn't package X or Y (brace for shock #2), we use tarballs!
                  Actually, ever since I tried to make use of OBS, I have never used a tarball, not once. Because it's literally easier to create an RPM package on OBS than to install things compiled from source.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
                    I can see the benefit for games on GNU/Linux as the developer can make sure to have the most up to date or specific library that the OS may not have.
                    I can see the opposite. The problem is generally not a newer library that a game needs, but rather a newer library the OS provides that the old tech in the game isn't capable of dealing with.

The solution, of course, is to drop a .so file of the older library or a drop-in replacement into the game's directory. That's how you can get games like Heroes of Might and Magic III and Unreal Tournament series working again.

If they were statically compiled? Wouldn't run, period.

Comment

Why use such small distribution as Solus where are very few apps compared to Debian testing Xfce that is a rolling release os too and way more popular, stable, faster (according to distrowatch Solus uses 800MB ram after boot when Debian testing Xfce uses 200MB), easier to use and more compatible with other distributions.
                      What? 800MB? I've been using Solus with Budgie for some time now and after boot it uses about 300-350 MB. I didn't even do any tweaking (except for bumping up the MTU, but that's network tweaking so that doesn't count). Also, the amount of apps is growing every day. You can check their Git page is to see for yourself.
                      Last edited by Vistaus; 11 February 2017, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Working...
                      X