No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Struck By A Last-Minute Delay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

People have been begging Canonical to backport Mesa 13 to Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 because the gaming community needs it. Feral Interactive, the best porter for Linux, has been pushing for Mesa 13 to be upstream and it has gone onto deaf ears like usual. There are plenty of PPAs and packages in xenial-proposed that has Mesa 13 up and running.

Things like this that are pushing me to Solus the next time I upgrade my OS or start from scratch.

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
      People have been begging Canonical to backport Mesa 13 to Ubuntu 16.04/16.10 because the gaming community needs it. Feral Interactive, the best porter for Linux, has been pushing for Mesa 13 to be upstream and it has gone onto deaf ears like usual. There are plenty of PPAs and packages in xenial-proposed that has Mesa 13 up and running.
      Absolute nonsense, things are happening behind the scenes, and the first thing that had to happen was to allow mesa roll forward as a normal SRU (it's not part of the renamed HWE stack anymore). This allows having a newer mesa version in a ppa or backports which both .1 and HWE users can upgrade to. This version will also be the version that's going to be pushed to -updates for the next point-release, so that folks are also testing it for regressions well before it's pushed out to everyone.

Mesa 13 won't be pushed to backports, because that would mean uploading a short-lived LLVM (3.9) while 17.04 will release with mesa 17+llvm-4.0. A semi-official ppa release could still happen.

Comment

Isn't it kernel 4.8.x not 4.10.x ?

Comment

Things like this that are pushing me to Solus the next time I upgrade my OS or start from scratch.
          If you are using Mesa you really need a rolling release distro otherwise you are missing out. I stopped using Ubuntu (kubuntu/neon actually) for a while until there was a simple way of obtaining the latest nvidia driver for the same reason.

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
            Isn't it kernel 4.8.x not 4.10.x ?
            It is neither 4.8 nor 4.10, but Ubuntu 16.10's kernel whatever number is weared there

Or i didn't understood question, as no one here mentioned 4.8 nor 4.10 kernels before you.
            Last edited by dungeon; 09 February 2017, 12:10 PM.

Comment

Just for reference, you can install HWE yourself on any Xenial:

Code:
              sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-16.04-edge
              (Remove "-edge" if you want to be more conservative.)

Comment

Originally posted by yossarianuk View Post
                If you are using Mesa you really need a rolling release distro otherwise you are missing out.
                I have a similar theory, if you are not on fdo bugzilla you are not a mesa user. Without that you are missing a lot

Joke aside this thread is about LTS distro, with this it gets only tested hwe stack from previous middle Ubuntu releases... and more tested mesa versions. No one should expect there total very recent upstream versions of everything.
                Last edited by dungeon; 09 February 2017, 12:22 PM.

Comment

There are plenty of PPAs and packages in xenial-proposed that has Mesa 13 up and running.
                  Too bad there isn't any PPA's that would solve your problem..... damn..... what a missed opportunity to be able to solve your own problem instead of complaining.

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post

The question fits Nvidia drivers as well. What will happen if kernel gets updated automatically with proprietary nvidia drivers installed?
                    Nothing. Dkms just compiles what's needed for the new kernel and you're good to go. At least that's what happens on Ubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                      Joke aside this thread is about LTS distro, with this it gets only tested hwe stack from previous middle Ubuntu releases... and more tested mesa versions. No one should expect there total very recent upstream versions of everything.
                      Truth

Comment

Working...
                      X