Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Struck By A Last-Minute Delay

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Struck By A Last-Minute Delay

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS was already twice delayed for different technical reasons. Approaching one month late from the original time table, 16.04.2 was supposed to ship today but that will no longer happen...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Well, Mesa 12.0.6 is not dated - it is two weeks old

Comment

Oh no, another delay =(

Can someone answer my silly question?
      This HWE thing will always upgrade automatically the kernel to the newest available (for LTS), right?.
      What if I install AMDGPU-PRO driver and my kernel gets upgraded? What do we have to do in order to use this HWE kernel stack and proprietary drivers?

Comment

Better do not pick these if you run any third party blob kernel drivers, wait a week or so that dust go down...

Particulary now, because Ubuntu doing this now for the first time

Another solution if you are in hurry, would be to just try it and expect total disaster... but if that does not happen, by happy
        Last edited by dungeon; 09 February 2017, 10:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bcellin View Post
          Oh no, another delay =(

This HWE thing will always upgrade automatically the kernel to the newest available (for LTS), right?.
          What if I install AMDGPU-PRO driver and my kernel gets upgraded? What do we have to do in order to use this HWE kernel stack and proprietary drivers?
          Buy Nvidia

Just kidding.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
            Better do not pick these if you run any third party blob kernel drivers, wait a week or so that dust go down...

Particulary now, because Ubuntu doing this now for the first time

Another solution if you are in hurry, would be to just try it and expect total disaster... but if that does not happen, by happy
            first time? they do the same for ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.

Comment

Oh no, another delay =(

only when you have the first hwe enable install, 14.04.2/16.04.2 etc

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

Buy Nvidia

Just kidding.
                The question fits Nvidia drivers as well. What will happen if kernel gets updated automatically with proprietary nvidia drivers installed?

Comment

Oh no, another delay =(

For now you should stick to 16.04.1 and just update that, that way you won't get the HWE kernels and stick with Linux 4.4. AMDGPU PRO will support the HWE stack soon I guess, but not yet.

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
                    first time? they do the same for ubuntu 12.04 and 14.04.
                    No, it is not the same this time This is now so called rolling hwe

Comment

Working...
                    X