X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
    Firmware should not be the issue. Assuming he was on wireless, the wifi failing may be possible, but the GUI should not fail even in the absence of a firmware blob for 3d acceleration.
    There was some report here for that rc2 installer even when he use unofficial, it won't load some WiFi firmware it seems:

https://lists.debian.org/debian-cd/2.../msg00003.html

But that is nothing, probably just firmwares does not match kernel... rc2 include 4.9 kernel while firmwares are probably for 4.8, for the installer i mean.

It most cases, it should cause the system to fallback to llvmpipe or swrest mode, but still bring up the GUI regardless.
    Who knows what might happen when GPU firmwares are missing, something strange most likely Particulary if it is currently some mismatch in the installer. And particulary with that default "i wanna your GPU" Gnome3
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 February 2017, 06:32 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oskar-n
    replied
    Originally posted by trifud View Post
    I tried installing Debian 9 yesterday (the "frozen" version) and it ruined my day. Nothing worked - no GUI, no network, strange behavior in the partitioner. When I finally got the thing running, I tried connecting it to our enterprise network and it died completely. No service would start on boot. It is a big disappointment. At the end of the day I just formatted and installed the latest LTS Ubunut which worked like a charm.

I understand that Debian 9 is still in development, however, I have the feeling that Debian is not as rock solid as it used to be. Even in released versions. This is why I have been shifting away from Debian based distros in recent times.
    I have been running Debian 9 on a few systems with different hardware since last summer and it has been working great.
    What hardware are you using?

Leave a comment:

• Sonadow
    replied
    I tried installing Debian 9 yesterday (the "frozen" version) and it ruined my day. Nothing worked - no GUI, no network, strange behavior in the partitioner. When I finally got the thing running, I tried connecting it to our enterprise network and it died completely. No service would start on boot. It is a big disappointment. At the end of the day I just formatted and installed the latest LTS Ubunut which worked like a charm.

I understand that Debian 9 is still in development, however, I have the feeling that Debian is not as rock solid as it used to be. Even in released versions. This is why I have been shifting away from Debian based distros in recent times.
    Is it really that bad ? I'm about to download the frozen copy and start trying it out in a VM before deciding whether to use it as my main computing platform for 2017.

Originally posted by dungeon
    Hm, which image you used for installation? People usually forget that Debian ships total without blob firmwares by default, so it is quite normal that default does not gonna work for most people
    Firmware should not be the issue. Assuming he was on wireless, the wifi failing may be possible, but the GUI should not fail even in the absence of a firmware blob for 3d acceleration. It most cases, it should cause the system to fallback to llvmpipe or swrest mode, but still bring up the GUI regardless.

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    I tried installing Debian 9 yesterday (the "frozen" version) and it ruined my day. Nothing worked - no GUI, no network, strange behavior in the partitioner.
    Hm, which image you used for installation? People usually forget that Debian ships total without blob firmwares by default, so it is quite normal that default does not gonna work for most people

Leave a comment:

• trifud
    replied

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Also some statistic, Jesse Freeze was 5 and half months with double more RC bugs then this one has at beggining, so maybe we can tip that this one might be less frozen... smells like june to me, maybe.

3 months is the minimum, so maybe about 4 or so months debianxfce won't (t)roll

Leave a comment:

• dungeon
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    What is more annoying is libreoffice 5.3.0 which didn't make it in.
    It is not annoying, 5.3.0 was released at 1. february and freeze is on 5 february, there was no 10 days delay and that release will need more fixes.

I'm using testing, so this will affect me for the freeze period mostly.
    Mesa 17 is not released yet, altough as i see you have mesa 17-rc3 in experimental if you wants it, same as libreoffice 5.3.0...

Debian Stable prefer higher point releases than actual first 0 releases, some of these are not even released yet

Freeze is freeze people, one can't roll and freeze nor run and sit down in the same time
    Last edited by dungeon; 07 February 2017, 02:50 AM.

Leave a comment:

• oibaf
    replied
    PHP 7.1 is also missing. That's unfortunate, 7.0 will EOL before stretch reaching LTS phase, while 7.1 is also supported one year longer than 7.0.

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
    But hey, you can use backports
    I'm using testing, so this will affect me for the freeze period mostly. Also, you can just build Mesa from source for specific applications.

What is more annoying is libreoffice 5.3.0 which didn't make it in. That one has some good bug fixes, like icons for KDE breeze-dark.

Leave a comment:

• franglais125
    replied
    Originally posted by shmerl View Post
    Too bad, Mesa 17 didn't make it in.
    Yeah, well, you have to draw the line at some point.

But hey, you can use backports

Leave a comment:

Working...
X