Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Delayed A Second Time

Phoronix: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Delayed A Second Time

Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS was supposed to ship in mid-January and then up until today was expected to be released on Thursday. But now it's being delayed at least one more week...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Ubuntu 16.04.2 is a new version of fedora?? xD
    seriously is better delay the release and have a stable distro, so good job canonical

Comment

How can you go to the HWE Stack and get the newer kernel and stuff?
      After 16.04.2 is officially released of course, but how do you do that?
      As far as I understood, you will stay on 16.04.1 and Kernel 4.4 if you don't upgrade manually right?
      Will there be a message asking me to upgrae? Is there a option I have to check first? Do I have to use a command?

"albeit for AMDGPU-PRO users, this will cause issues"
      What issues are you refering to?

Comment

Is this the release that they bring in Mesa 13 finally?

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
          No, instead everyone on 16.04 will get 12.0.6 via updates, and mesa 17.0/llvm-4.0 via backports when they're ready

Comment

Originally posted by tegs View Post
            No, 12.0.3 it seems (http://packages.ubuntu.com/yakkety/libegl1-mesa)

Meanwhile, Debian Stable has been offering kernel 4.8 and mesa 12.04 for over a month now (through backports), and I just got 4.9 today.

Perhaps this is not true for other apps (e.g. no X server backports), but generally speaking it seems that Debian Stable has a better HWE flow than Ubuntu's.

Sadly, I keep reading this Debian-Stable = old-hardware old saying every now and then.
            Last edited by franglais125; 01 February 2017, 02:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
              Meanwhile, Debian Stable has been offering kernel 4.8 and mesa 12.04 for over a month now (through backports), and I just got 4.9 today.
              Debian Stable != Release Quality Stable

Comment

Originally posted by Morbis55 View Post
                After 16.04.2 is officially released of course, but how do you do that?
                As far as I understood, you will stay on 16.04.1 and Kernel 4.4 if you don't upgrade manually right?
                Will there be a message asking me to upgrae? Is there a option I have to check first? Do I have to use a command?

My understanding is that you will stay on the non-HWE stack unless you explicitly accept the upgrade to 16.04.2, if you do accept it then you will be automatically upgrade to .3, .4, .5 etc... Same if you download and install an HWE image - you follow the HWE upgrade path from that point.

re: AMDGPU-PRO, what Michael means is that if we don't release an AMDGPU-PRO that works with 16.04.2 (which will have the 16.10 graphics stack) then upgrading to 16.04.2 will cause problems when the upgrade logic attempts to re-install the kernel driver.
                Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post

My understanding is that you will stay on the non-HWE stack unless you explicitly accept the upgrade to 16.04.2, if you do accept it then you will be automatically upgrade to .3, .4, .5 etc... Same if you download and install an HWE image - you follow the HWE upgrade path from that point.
                  Yep, 16.04.2 and up will have a rolling enablement stack, more details at

Same applies to the X stack apart from Mesa which will be backported around the same time but unrenamed so that it'll replace the original version.

Comment

Upgrades related issues . Third party is always affected when you upgrade kernel/x, particulary AMDGPU-PRO which is sort of shipped to work with one kernel and one X

What AMDGPU-PRO will do there in another 6 months when 16.04.3 is there i dunno, then also X will be different major version... they might, but for now does not sounds to me they will support both stacks, not to mention mixed combinations

Expect shit on any upgrade, that way you may learn to avoid it

You can try it even now just enable proposed repo and expect shit to happen If shit does not happen by happy, otherwise fix it or complain
                    Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2017, 05:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X