Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS Delayed A Second Time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
    You can try it even now just enable proposed repo and expect shit to happen If shit does not happen by happy, otherwise fix it or complain
    Only shit that'll happen is that you get newer mesa (12.0.6) if upgrading to -proposed. Getting the X stack (which is pretty much the same anyway apart from some minor driver updates) needs 'apt --install-recommends install xserver-xorg-hwe-16.04'. The kernel is not available yet.

Comment

Originally posted by tjaalton View Post
      The kernel is not available yet.
      AFAIR it was there, this:

but OK proposed is temporary repo, things are sometimes there and sometimes get removed

That linux-hwe "4.8.0-37.39~16.04.1" must me in some repo i guess

https://launchpad.net/~canonical-ker...ive/ubuntu/ppa

Sounds weird to me that kernel is not in proposed
      Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2017, 08:33 AM.

Comment

... particulary AMDGPU-PRO which is sort of shipped to work with one kernel and one X
        Exactly the opposite, really - the open source drivers are "shipped to work with one kernel and one X" (since they live upstream) while AMDGPU-PRO and proprietary drivers are shipped to work with multiple kernels and multiple X versions. You may be confusing the current state with an early development state, where we were just starting to implement the Kernel Compatibility Layer and corresponding logic in the X driver.

What AMDGPU-PRO will do there in another 6 months when 16.04.3 is there i dunno, then also X will be different major version... they might, but for now does not sounds to me they will support both stacks, not to mention mixed combinations
        Mixed combinations no, but AFAIK the plan is to support both stacks - non-HWE plus latest HWE.

Expect shit on any upgrade, that way you may learn to avoid it
        You can try it even now just enable proposed repo and expect shit to happen If shit does not happen by happy, otherwise fix it or complain
        Or... stay with me now, this is pretty radical stuff... you could check to make sure that the driver you have installed supports the new HWE version before upgrading, and if not, that a new version is available which does support it.
        Test signature

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
          Mixed combinations no, but AFAIK the plan is to support both stacks - non-HWE plus latest HWE.
          Sweet!

Comment

Originally posted by dh04000 View Post

Debian Stable != Release Quality Stable
            Curious, what do you mean exactly? Genuine question here

Comment

Originally posted by bridgman View Post
              Exactly the opposite, really - the open source drivers are "shipped to work with one kernel and one X" (since they live upstream) while AMDGPU-PRO and proprietary drivers are shipped to work with multiple kernels and multiple X versions. You may be confusing the current state with an early development state, where we were just starting to implement the Kernel Compatibility Layer and corresponding logic in the X driver.
              I mentioned "sort of" as am talking of what is shipped and not what is the goal... Just check reality, go and ask AMDGPU-PRO users "does PRO driver work with multiple kernels and X versions in comparision to opensource drivers"?

In both cases you need to rebuild something to have compatibility isn't it, so exactly the same, really... only model/method differ and who will rebuild what

Mixed combinations no...
              Michael will continue to complain, yes Users will continue to ask why, yes

Or... stay with me now, this is pretty radical stuff...
              That is not so radical... most radical is to say to average Joe user to file useful bug
              Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by franglais125 View Post
                Curious, what do you mean exactly? Genuine question here
                I think that he means, how for example If you turn on your brain sun it is white, but without brain if you turn off your eyes then sun is black, otherwise yellow or red, etc...

Debian Stable is just main repo, after release that sort of never get changed. Contrib and non-free repos are not part of the distro. Further, updates and security are handled by separate repos also, both recommeded but optional, one currently mandatory and one not. Everything else other than main is optional, including backports, etc...

Now, someone might think of Debian Stable also as everything that happen around main in future after release, stable is not stable for new hardware normally so future needs fixes or just some upgrades because of that, but beware that new upgrades might have regressions... but sun is sun regardless of color opinion, as everything is relative and depends on POV .
                Last edited by dungeon; 01 February 2017, 09:03 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X