• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Here the better product does not even boot to desktop:
    https://www.phoronix.com/forums/foru...on-linux/page3
    "
    03-09-2017, 04:45 PM
    The problem with messages spamming kernel is gone. System boots normally. Nvidia drivers do not work with 4.11, and nouveau doesn't work either,but I'm booting into text mode without other issues
    "
    You call this artificial problem when it is reality. So stop trolling and spamming, please.

With AMD RX 4xx gpus computer boots to desktop out of box with latest distros and kernels. Amd hardware gives you the best value per dollar.
    You seem to be boneheaded or something.

Fact 1: Thread starter has i7 3770K (supported in Linux since somewhere kernel 3.8-3.10, ~2012-2013) , not Ryzen system for starters.
    Fact 2: Assuming he takes up new or used Nvidia's card. Why would he have to use 4.11 or 4.10? Correct, he does not have to. And suddenly your links and complaints about Nvidia not working with 4.11 are utterly pointless trolling.

Comment

You have no clue about net etiquette, study some before you type your shit.
      Do not dare telling me about net etiquette, you being one of the most notorius trolls in Phoronix.
      My quote shows how good product nvidia gpu is.
      Your quote is higher pilotage of demagogy, nothing else. Because, and I am stating it for the n'th time: With fucking i7 3770k one does not have to use brand new kernel. If you do it, solely because it's the "newest and shiniest" and you feel it's all the justification you ever need for having to have it - it's your personal problem you need to solve. Do not press it on others as Universal Truth.

Nvidia does not even support kernel 4.10 and new hardware needs latest kernel.
      Bucket of bullshit again. i7 3770k..

I repeat, nvidia driver is more difficult to install than a kernel package that has the amdgpu driver..
      Indeed?
      $ sudo add-apt-repository ppa:graphics-drivers/ppa
      $ sudo apt update

or

$ chmod 777 NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-3xx.xx.run
      $ sudo sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-3xx.xx.run
      $ sudo apt-get update
      $ sudo apt-get upgrade

Ubuntu 16.04LTS.

Comment

Dear beginners,
        FYI I still have Red Hat Linux 6.2 burned on a cd somewhere in the basement :P From before it became RHEL. And I used linux way before I migrated to BSD, SUSE 6.4-OpenSUSE, Mandrake before it became Mandriva. Slackware made the switch to BSDs painless. Und so weiter..

Dear beginners,
        There are many packages that are difficult to remove and driver version can be old.
        If Nouvea driver is cockblocking the installation and package dependencies demand it's presence, you simply have to blacklist it which stops it's interference. It was common occurence with OpenSUSE.

Dear beginners,
        Using apt update/upgrade is not needed. Instead before running the run file, you need to install kernel headers and compilation tools. You need to reboot to Linux rescue mode or kill X other ways. There is no rolling back if you computer does not boot. Amdgpu kernel driver is much simpler to use.
        [/quote]
        I am sure you know better than the people who did write the Ubuntu's manual pages. Because you would find pretty much same instructions I listed, written down for Ubuntu 16.04

I am adding from my own experience with OpenSUSE. No, you do not have to use rescue mode. I blacklisted the flippin' Nouveau, did set the system in console mode, rebooted just to be sure and then ran the .run file. And from there, restored graphical mode as default and started X. I always installed the kernel headers package right during OS install, it is just another fairly needed package after all. And it's the most complicated scenario possible. Which is not complicated at all.

Argument you are trying to advance is a meaningless anyway. Complication of procedure? Time spent? Installing a driver is single-time task. It does not matter if it takes 5min or 1h, in a perfect world you only do it once and then just use the machine. Unless you are running into issues like glitches in game, GPU fans not working properly (going at full blast for example), segmentation faults etc - then you are screwed. Then time spent becomes factor that matter. And it's far more probable to happen using AMD's driver based on statistics.

If you want to discuss how complicated something is, let's take up AMD's mobile GPU's for discussion. Especially ones which have custom branding and are not being recognized by AMD's own drivers. So, you got laptop with, for example Windows Vista, sporting some custom branded AMD GPU and wish to install Win7/8 or 10 on it. Without manufacturer supporting anything else than Vista for this machine. Maybe the basis for wanting the newer windows is simply wish to use SSD (Vista has no TRIM support). It's reasonable reason. So, you are suddenly facing interesting situation. No drivers from manufacturer, compatibility mode does not work, no drivers from AMD. You have to modify the existing AMD drivers, disable signature check in your windows, take hardware id's from your hardware and match them with closest analogue in pulled-apart AMD driver. I've spent days getting some fucking piece of AMD's hardware working (yeah, side job for cash) like this. This is "complicated". Not few more or less CLI commands.

Comment

Dear beginners,

There are many packages that are difficult to remove and driver version can be old.

Using apt update/upgrade is not needed. Instead before running the run file, you need to install kernel headers and compilation tools. You need to reboot to Linux rescue mode or kill X other ways. There is no rolling back if you computer does not boot. Amdgpu kernel driver is much simpler to use.
          and after procedure, you got tty, but no X11 window :>

Comment

Also with ATi/AMD cards. Example laptop for you:Asus F3Se
            It had something like Mobility X1700 graphics chip, rebranded as X2500. All contemporary Linux distros drew up a blank and couldn't do shit with it on their own.

Since the hardware IDs for such particular machine could be bogus OEM custom values, it may not be supported by Linux because it could easily handle it as wrong model or not know what to do with it at all.. I've got bunch of such parts from different laptops lying around. Broadcom Dell Bluetooth cards for example

Your famous old hardware support from another angle: funny trying to run most distros on Geode industrial board. Quite many have dropped i386 support completely, majority of the rest are horrendous kitchen sinks.

plain truth remains:most drivers works under windows contemporary with the piece of hardware.
            Last edited by aht0; 06 December 2017, 03:50 AM.

Comment

Make bug reports and fix by yourself. It easy to add more pci ids to the radeon and amdgpu driver. Broadcom does have linux developers, make bug reports. Broadcom networking devices can found in any devices. With closed source nvidia drivers you can do much less. So bad examples you have.
              If I have to start fixing drivers in Linux on the level of editing source files, recompiling drivers - it loses it's last advantages compared to BSD family of OSes. I use BSD already anyway, why should I bother with Linux issues.

I brought up particular examples only in order to throw some hard cold reality on your enthusiastic marketing talk.
              Last edited by aht0; 06 December 2017, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Working...
              X