Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Distro for linux PC in living room

hello

I will be building a PC in an HTPC case that will be connected to a receiver + home theater + 4K TV via HDMI. I will be using this for playing local media files (movies, TV series, music) as well as streaming media from the Internet. Also I want steam installed to occasionally play a game with a controller from the couch so would like to be up to date with graphics drivers.

The CPU will be ivy bridge i7 3770k, Z77 mobo and 8GB RAM (cause I already have these), will purchase some AMD graphics card for it.

Would appreciate your recommendations and experiences regarding suitable distros for this purpose.

Debian is very bad choise, specialy for gaming on linux.

Comment

so that have been on ubuntu, maybe tomorow i will try on gentoo.
      And please stop flaming I know that you are debian fanboy.
      And if i am a beginner how i install gentoo ?
      There is something releated to Debian, Ubuntu systems, for this terrible lag, framedrop and sluttering, or even in mesa. I cannot be sure. And specially for input lag.

Comment

i just test ofcourse with ubuntu 16.10 and Debian 8. But i wouldn't gonna use them, they lacks flexability.
        And specially Debian lacks a lot of software which is available in ubuntu for example. I can test your suggestion on seperate partition, but as i said no flexability in Debian, and this is not stable distribution with unstable and testing packages. Gentoo Unstable is a bit stable than Debian Stable.

Comment

yeah thats good. i do reports too.
          But forum conversation is good too, for users expiriance.
          If you discover some issue, you can ask at the forum.

Comment

Debian testing is just testing version, its not rolling release. Rolling Release is Arch Linux or Gentoo or Exherbo.
            So probably i would gonna try this evening, when i'm at home.

Comment

No offense please!
              I am linux user since 2006, and former developer of linux distribution.
              And i don't care about your opinion, and even more for Debian. For me Debian is nothing.
              But i respect hard work of team. And thats why we have a thousand of distributions.
              So there is freedom for everybody.
              Don't be rude and arogant.

Comment

Speaking with debianxfce is a big waste of time.
                He is a troll and moron who thinks, only his opinion is the truth.

Comment

i see, and i remember that.

Comment

i don't think so there is any improvement in amdgpu against radeon driver.

Comment

Working...
                    X