Debian Installer Stretch RC 1 Arrives, The /usr Merge Has Been Postponed

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian Installer Stretch RC 1 Arrives, The /usr Merge Has Been Postponed

Phoronix: Debian Installer Stretch RC 1 Arrives, The /usr Merge Has Been Postponed

The Debian Installer is getting ready for the 9.0 "Stretch" release...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

kernel 4.8 is already EOL but the DDs still insist ))

Comment

I wonder if we'll see merged /usr in Ubuntu as well. IMHO it's the right thing to do, especially if the future is supposed to be all-snap.

Comment

Is 4.9 supposed to be the next LTS kernel?

Also hopefully this will fix the Steam issues
        Last edited by Geopirate; 16 January 2017, 12:25 AM. Reason: edited to add Steam

Comment

Hm, and that's not yet done in openSUSE even though it was supposed to have been done for ages. Sigh. And people on the mailing list are going on tangents rather than addressing the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post
            kernel 4.8 is already EOL but the DDs still insist ))
            Debian Stretch would be based on 4.9 kernel. Looks like you don't use/follow Debian. 4.9 has already entered the archive.

Comment

Originally posted by GreatEmerald View Post
              Hm, and that's not yet done in openSUSE even though it was supposed to have been done for ages. Sigh. And people on the mailing list are going on tangents rather than addressing the issue.
              Seems like it won't be finished anytime soon if ever in openSUSE based on the recent discussion on the matter. Given that smaller communities have managed it, I have no doubt Debian can if there is sufficient developer investment and the Debian Project is committed to that direction. Was Robert Schweikert the only one working on this in openSUSE? From what I've seen, there is no clear direction on the matter in openSUSE, and apparently no technical steering committee in openSUSE. I'm a little surprised SUSE itself at some organization level wouldn't have stepped in, either preventing this (making sure it never began) or championing it (making sure it crossed the finish line), rather than "the current mess".

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
                Seems like it won't be finished anytime soon if ever in openSUSE based on the recent discussion on the matter. Given that smaller communities have managed it, I have no doubt Debian can if there is sufficient developer investment and the Debian Project is committed to that direction. Was Robert Schweikert the only one working on this in openSUSE? From what I've seen, there is no clear direction on the matter in openSUSE, and apparently no technical steering committee in openSUSE. I'm a little surprised SUSE itself at some organization level wouldn't have stepped in, either preventing this (making sure it never began) or championing it (making sure it crossed the finish line), rather than "the current mess".
                Yea. Well, it seems that the benefits are not really worth fighting every maintainer in the book (just look at the comments part of the table on the wiki, as well as some of the replies on the discussion thread that sound like coming from Slackware/Gentoo users instead). And SUSE doesn't care about it enough, because why would they.

On the other hand, I'm not sure a gradual replacement makes that much sense anyway. Why not just switch them to symlinks and see what happens? The vast majority of the packages will work just fine. Or even adjust OBS so that it automatically moves everything to /usr and makes symlinks in the interim (or just moves everything to /usr without creating any symlinks).

Comment

Originally posted by RickXy View Post

Debian Stretch would be based on 4.9 kernel. Looks like you don't use/follow Debian. 4.9 has already entered the archive.
                  looks like you don't know what are you talking about

Comment

Originally posted by edmon View Post

looks like you don't know what are you talking about

Comment

Working...
                    X