Debian Stretch Enters Its Soft Freeze, Full Freeze In One Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    Anyway Arch Fun Statistics proves very well that Gnome and GTK derivatives are way bigger than KDE.
    By a mighty 4%.

For Debian we got popcon. Again Gnome and GTK derivatives comes out faaar ahead.
    Hint: GNOME is default desktop in Debian. It's like that time when you pulled a statistic of Fedora or RHEL, and like 60% users had GNOME, because no duh, it's default desktop.

I posted cross-distro statistics from gamingonlinux and from Arch that does not have a "default desktop" because that's the only way I can avoid skewing the data with the distro's default desktop.

If I wanted to play at your level I would be posting statistics from OpenSUSE, Kubuntu and Mageia, and marvelling at how much KDE is installed there (hint: it's default DE).

I wish Starship good luck on his future endeavours to prove popcon wrong.
    Done, next plz.

Comment

Griffin & @starshipeleven: Perhaps you guys could conduct the psychopath convention down the hall so we all could get a bit of personal space eh?

..Meanwhile:
      Debain is soon in full freeze with many different GUI's to choose from so everyone can be happy! isn't that great?! At the same time it is *the* mother distro of choice so just about everybody benefits from it's work. I myself are running Stretch (testing) and I have been perfectly happy with staying a few months behind bleeding edge as long as the darn thing works and is stable. Debian testing is bleeding edge enough for me, and Debian stable is my only choice for server use.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

Originally posted by waxhead View Post
        Griffin & @starshipeleven: Perhaps you guys could conduct the psychopath convention down the hall so we all could get a bit of personal space eh?

..Meanwhile:
        Debain is soon in full freeze with many different GUI's to choose from so everyone can be happy! isn't that great?! At the same time it is *the* mother distro of choice so just about everybody benefits from it's work. I myself are running Stretch (testing) and I have been perfectly happy with staying a few months behind bleeding edge as long as the darn thing works and is stable. Debian testing is bleeding edge enough for me, and Debian stable is my only choice for server use.
        Now we just need Griffin/Horton to go on a FUD filled CLA rant so that user can go full circle again.

On a side note, it all seems to be a storm in a teacup. For example, given GNOME and GTK's "wonderfulness" just remember that it has little impact in the larger computing world, except for being lumped with Windows 8 etc. as examples of how to about how mess up badly, and even RH don't see it as a core product of their business. A true storm in a teacup.

Comment

[QUOTE=starshipeleven;n923140]
          Hint: GNOME is default desktop in Debian. It's like that time when you pulled a statistic of Fedora or RHEL, and like 60% users had GNOME, because no duh, it's default desktop.
          /QUOTE]

Your argument about "has so many users because it's the default desktop" argument has already been disproven as bullshit in Debian though. In Debian XFCE was made the default desktop for an entire development window (~2 years) and GNOME users statistics remained unaffected. Apparently on Debian people use GNOME because they want GNOME and don't care what the default is.

In recent releases of the debian installer you even get all the desktops thrown in your face and the user has to choose which one, so there's not really any proper "default desktop" left in Debian.

Not sure why I'm writing this because I doubt you care about anything else than peddling your own made up opinion.

Comment

I have Gnome/KDE installed because I might need it occasionally, not because I use it on a daily basis. Not sure if Popcon show which DE people actually use.

Comment

Working...
            X