No announcement yet.

Debian Stretch Enters Its Soft Freeze, Full Freeze In One Month

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't worry about starshipeleven griffin. He's a known dick around here. He likes to play with numbers be he and others know damn well that the majority of desktops on Linux are derivatives of GNOME and/or GTK ( Cinnamon, Unity, MATE, XFCE ). It's nice that KDE 5.8 is LTS.....doesn't necessarily mean that it is stable. Just means that bug fixes will apply for the length of time of its service run.

And seeing as how Red Hat does more for Linux including GNOME that anyone else.....it matters not whether it can run headless or not. Red Hat is the 800 lb development gorilla of Linux. Debian and secondarily Canonical with Ubuntu are big....but they are not Red Hat big. Doesn't mean I use Red Hat or endorse them. I don't. I use Linux Mint on all my laptops and desktops. Just countering starshipprick and his snark.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
      he and others know damn well that the majority of desktops on Linux are derivatives of GNOME and/or GTK ( Cinnamon, Unity, MATE, XFCE ).
      Nope, according to all sources I could find GNOME and KDE are more or less even on 25-30% each, with everyone else trailing and sharing the remaining 50-ish%
      https://www.gamingonlinux.com/users/statistics
      https://www.archlinux.de/?page=FunStatistics

And seeing as how Red Hat does more for Linux including GNOME that anyone else.....it matters not whether it can run headless or not. Red Hat is the 800 lb development gorilla of Linux. Debian and secondarily Canonical with Ubuntu are big....but they are not Red Hat big.
      So what? They like GNOME and they are big, does that make GNOME significantly better than KDE or even Unity? no.

They are more or less even (Unity gets a big hit because Canonical does not want others to use it due to Mir).

Comment

I'm sorry starnoob....what part of "derivative of GNOME" did you not understand? Cinnamon is derived from GNOME/GTK. It is simply a shell on top of GNOME shell. MATE LITERALLY states they are a fork of GNOME....GNOME 2 of course....but GNOME none the less. And now that they have refactored using GTK3 they are literally a GNOME 2 shell on top of GNOME 3. Unity is a Canonical derived shell on top of GNOME. XFCE is GTK+ based. You know GTK....right? Developed by The GNOME Project....right? Hosted at git.GNOME....right?
        Of course you do. Once again....you like to throw numbers around and state a fact narrowly defined by some pollster survey of GNOME vs KDE. When in fact the TRUTH is the large majority of Linux DE development spins around the GNOME and GTK+ world more so than KDE. Does this make it "better" than KDE. Not necessarily and neither did I claim that. Nor did my stating the universally known truth that Red Hat is the top dog in Linux land mean I think they are better and by extension that GNOME was better. It's just truth rather than out of context facts thrown about because you were somehow butthurt over KDE supposedly being dissed or left out of the discussion. Work on your reading comprehension my friend and stop being so religious over a DE. That's what Apple fanbois do.

Comment

As a Debian sid user, I cry a little bit every time I read about a freeze. sid should keep rolling for us sid users.

Comment

Is the post-Stretch plan to default to merged-/usr?

I know the Debian Project released a statement after Ian Murdock's death, but is there going to be some kind of commemoration with this release?

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post
              Is the post-Stretch plan to default to merged-/usr?
              As i see alpha 8 installer already did merged-/usr as default:

https://www.debian.org/devel/debian-.../2016/20161112

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

As i see alpha 8 installer already did merged-/usr as default
                http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.or...0.87_changelog

I'm going to assume from https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=839046 that the plan is still to default to merged-/usr eventually, but I haven't seen anything absolutely definitive.

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post
                  As a Debian sid user, I cry a little bit every time I read about a freeze. sid should keep rolling for us sid users.
                  Maybe try Siduction? They have some additional repositories and push some updates like kernels to their users.

Comment

Originally posted by eidolon View Post

http://metadata.ftp-master.debian.or...0.87_changelog

I'm going to assume from https://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugr...cgi?bug=839046 that the plan is still to default to merged-/usr eventually, but I haven't seen anything absolutely definitive.
                    That looks like no to me, but who knows

AFAIR jessie had double less RC bugs than stretch month before its freeze, so i have no much hope they will allow new bugs to be introduced unnecessarily... i actually expect more cut offs, but again who knows now... situation would be more clear what it is in a month.
                    Last edited by dungeon; 08 January 2017, 07:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jumbotron View Post
                      I'm sorry starnoob....what part of "derivative of GNOME" did you not understand?
                      You know how to fucking count right?
                      (gamingonlinux statistic)
                      KDE 22% + Unity 16% + XFCE 12% + "windows manager ony" 7% = 57%
                      (archlinux statistic)
                      KDE 22% + XFCE 12% + LXDE 7% + Enlightenment 3% = 44%

Yeah, It's a total win of GNOME, none is using other desktops because they are minor.

Cinnamon is derived from GNOME/GTK. It is simply a shell on top of GNOME shell. MATE LITERALLY states they are a fork of GNOME 2
                      Please note, while I did play along with these bullshit claims that Cinnamon and MATE are GNOME since it's not crucial for my point, both are technically independent forks (i.e. they are their own upstream). They keep alive a specific version of GNOME because of reasons, but they are not GNOME.

The only DE you can bunch together with GNOME is Budgie that (wisely) only replaces the desktop shell with something more humane, but all other stuff comes from GNOME upstream directly.

XFCE is GTK+ based.
                      And? GTK is a toolkit, not a DE. Any claim that XFCE/LXDE or whatever the fuck else using GTK is a derivative of GNOME (so all applications using GTK become GNOME now? Lolwtf bro?) is nonsense just to save your ass from the above.

When in fact the TRUTH is the large majority of Linux DE development spins around the GNOME and GTK+ world more so than KDE.
                      Aah, now you shift goalposts, Before it was just GNOME rulez, now that you get butthurt you pull GTK too in the party.

Sorry but DE != GUI Toolkits.

Comment

Working...
                      X