No announcement yet.

Fedora Linux Had A Heck Of A Year, Finally Hitting Wayland-By-Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The key thing for me not to use it is the inability to select DRI2, DRI3 doing all sort of weird things for me in games, like flickering and freezing. I don't see this being sorted out any time soon so no Wayland for me by default any time soon.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post

A bit dramatic given that I do work in the terminal and everything works fine for me. Have you filed a bug for your particular use-case? These don't sound like Wayland bugs, they sound like special use-cases of the desktop manager (Gnome in this case).. Hardly enough to say "have a way to go" or "your screwed".
      Well, I didn't need to fill one, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736660
      As for "have a way to go" and "screwed" - I've setup work environment which work perfectly under x11, switching to wayland broke it, I don't have correct path or environment variables anymore, how would you call it?

Comment

Originally posted by blacknova View Post

Well, I didn't need to fill one, https://bugzilla.gnome.org/show_bug.cgi?id=736660
        As for "have a way to go" and "screwed" - I've setup work environment which work perfectly under x11, switching to wayland broke it, I don't have correct path or environment variables anymore, how would you call it?
        just source your profile scripts manually until gnome-session is fixed, done …

Comment

Originally posted by CrystalGamma View Post

just source your profile scripts manually until gnome-session is fixed, done …
          Why bother? It is not like I loose anything valuable by returning back to x11

Comment

For me the most annoying is font rendering in Fedora (fonts look terrible with default settings...) I know that there are some solutions for this issue, however none of them was compatible with F25 beta, when I tested that distribution.

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
              The importance of getting the ecosystem off X11 and on top of Wayland simply cannot be underestimated ! There are people still out there that actually believe X11 is somehow good, its pure madness if they only actually knew..
              X11 has served me well for years. wayland however wont even start, has no gamma support and no VNC.

Comment

I want to use Fedora 25 with Wayland but I have a Nvidia GTX 1060 which as far as I know does not work with Wayland. I guess I can use Xwindows with Fedora 25.

Comment

Originally posted by zboson View Post
                  I want to use Fedora 25 with Wayland but I have a Nvidia GTX 1060 which as far as I know does not work with Wayland. I guess I can use Xwindows with Fedora 25.
                  Red Hat implemented preliminary NVidia support for Fedora 25. It'll be completed by Fedora 26, according to the announcement by one of the developers.

Comment

At the moment, nautilus-desktop has to force an X11 backend to draw icons on the desktop. Presumably this means a Wayland session can now draw icons on the desktop but must use Xwayland to do so.
                    At least for the time being, desktop icons are not supported on wayland. This may or may not change, but in the meantime we can still meet user expectations by forcing the supported backend instead...

A comment to this reads: "At least for the time being, desktop icons are not supported on wayland" but it seems to me that all it would really require would be to draw a fullscreen, no-toolbar, no-sidebar, undecorated window for any file manager whose icon container uses a transparent background.

Comment

I would love to use Fedora again, but installing the Nvidia drivers causes an unrecoverable GDM crash. I'm not savvy or patient enough to troubleshoot that when Ubuntu just works.

Comment

Working...
                      X