No announcement yet.

Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid's Theme

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Any theme that makes title and menu bars look distinct instantly fails the elegance test.

..but then, we should be combining them anyway and all using window-picker-applet for the title, but that's another can of worms.

Comment

I'm with Daemon.

is it a slow news day? or do you guys just love Ubuntu so much that you'll take any excuse to write about it?

Comment

Originally posted by jeffro-tull View Post
        I'm with Daemon.

is it a slow news day? or do you guys just love Ubuntu so much that you'll take any excuse to write about it?
        Allow me to show you a pretty little graph, Jeffro.

Ubuntu is becoming relevant. Hence, it gets coverage.

Comment

So much for mark shuttleworth's besting of osx's looks.

Honestly If they cannot evolve the visual style (which was scheduled for the last release), then they have no hope. What makes it worse is that other distros manage it really well and arguably look far better to start with (without outlining the goal stated above).

Some of the concept designs for ubuntu look stunning, and it is a real shame that they fail every time to integrate some of the concept ideas

Comment

I still say it's too early to give up on intrepid..

Comment

The entire theme is a regression, not only the wallpaper. This now looks older than before! I mean, Ubuntu theme isn't ugly, but it's considered very oldschool..

The problem with Ubuntu's default theme is, when non-tech people dare to review the "different OSes", they often choose Ubuntu because it's more popular, and they ALWAYS come with the brilliant result that linux isn't visual appealing.. (damn it, linux is a kernel stupid!)

these things really piss me off

Comment

Well, I couldn't get 'dust' to work, but now I'm using Shiki-Human from http://www.suse-art.org/content/show...ea07931e7322eb and it's the best one I've tried in my life.

Ubuntu should just use that.

Comment

Originally posted by _txf_ View Post
                  So much for mark shuttleworth's besting of osx's looks.

Honestly If they cannot evolve the visual style (which was scheduled for the last release), then they have no hope. What makes it worse is that other distros manage it really well and arguably look far better to start with (without outlining the goal stated above).

Some of the concept designs for ubuntu look stunning, and it is a real shame that they fail every time to integrate some of the concept ideas
                  It's really strange what happens with Ubuntu's artwork. How can they invest money and resources with artists and always end with a terrible artwork??

As far I'm concerned, Canonical paid the IconFactory team for making their icon theme, but the result of this work, the Human icon theme, is much worse than any set of icons on IconFactory portfolio!!

And I think the same happens for the rest of the artwork.

For me that only have one explanation: the guy that say "yes or no" for the final artwork has a very bad taste :P

You know, there is a saying in my country: "taste you don't argue, you regret"

Comment

In Ubuntu's defense, there is a new "human" theme, it's just not used by default.

1) On Intrepid, open the Appearance preferences
                    2) On the "Theme" tab, select "NewHuman"
                    3) ???
                    4) Prof--sh*t, it's an ugly, dark, and still very orange theme.

Well, it is meant for an october ubuntu release, so at least it matches Halloween decorations...

Admittedly, if you change the colorscheme to be, say, green or blue, then it does look *much* better. Matching icons help too.

Actually, using the Bluman icons, the Bluman edgy wallpaper, and NewHuman with an altered colorscheme, I've currently got my desktop looking about the nicest it ever has (certainly the best it has ever been without completely replacing the default theme).

Seems to work equally well for any other color too.

Comment

The disro with the best artwork is openSUSE.

Comment

Working...
                      X