No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Ends Support For Binary AMD Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm having the exact same issues as Passso, except on a slightly newer-gen laptop with i7-3612QM and Radeon 7670M (Thames Pro/Turks/TeraScale 2):

lspci

Code:
    01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI] Thames [Radeon HD 7500M/7600M Series] (rev ff)
    00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor Graphics Controller (rev 09)

00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 3rd Gen Core processor DRAM Controller (rev 09)
    00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200 v2/3rd Gen Core processor PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
    00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM77 Express Chipset LPC Controller (rev 04)
    I am getting the exact same results, ie only able to use the CPU GFX. However it's REALLY shit. Audio problems and incredibly fast drop in FPS to the point I have to reboot in a minute. It doesn't matter what kernel I use with the distro packaged MESA and GFX stack, and so I then start using PPA's like oibaf and Padoka to try get some sanity back, but nothing there either. All produce the same results. I'm hoping it's just some kernel module I need to blacklist, because this all used to work well enough until about a year ago.

lsmod |grep -i radeon

Code:
    radeon               1503232  0
    ttm                   102400  1 radeon
    i2c_algo_bit           16384  2 radeon,i915
    drm_kms_helper        159744  2 radeon,i915
    drm                   364544  8 radeon,i915,ttm,drm_kms_helper
    So Bridgeman, you're suggesting using the latest spin of Ubuntu as it possibly has the basic building blocks that could now support the 'older' card's that seemingly got nerfed?

I was also dabbling in using the DRI_PRIME method as detailed on Arch, and it sort of worked somewhat when I last tested 6 months+ ago, but apparently this has been included in some of the newer kernels? So I'd need to look in to that again. I'd prefer not to use arch on my laptop however.
    Hi

Comment

People - read what I typed, AMDGPU Pro works on OpenSUSE already. I've already installed it and it seems to be working just fine. The installer already supports OpenSUSE (tested on 42.2). No one needs to repackage anything at this point and it's packaged about as well as proprietary closed source driver can be packaged.

Comment

Working...
      X