OpenSUSE Ends Support For Binary AMD Graphics Driver

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Amarildo View Post
    Both stacks, AMDGPU-PRO and Catalyst, have a few advantages over the free drivers, one of them being a working OpenCL.
    This is the biggest issue in my opinion. It's a shame that open source software like LO Calc or Blender, can fully utilize openCL on GPUs with open source driver.

As I see, it seems amdgpu-pro won't come to Leap 42.2 anytime soon. Not so good time to be non-Ubuntu AMD GPU user

Comment

Bullshit. You don't need a newer GPU to pack a driver. Any mediocre packager can pack whatever he/she wants without having the hardware to use the built packages.
      Uh, no. If you're a packager, it's generally considered good practice to test that your package actually works.

Comment

Bullshit. You don't need a newer GPU to pack a driver. Any mediocre packager can pack whatever he/she wants without having the hardware to use the built packages.

It doesn't matter the format: .zip, .tar.gz, .deb, whatever. If you can extract them, you can re-package them.

Just a bunch of excuses.

Those who want the AMDGPU-PRO driver on non-Debian distros can go to Arch.
        Bullshit.

I'm the one, who has originally packaged amdgpu-pro for Arch, and put the package in AUR. I didn't have supported GPU at that time, and was unable to test it. True, the driver was packaged. But it didn't work, and it required a lot of work by somebody with a supported GPU to be really usable - https://github.com/corngood/archlinu...commits/master

Comment

It doesn't matter. I can compile AMDGPU-PRO here on Arch with a GCN 1.0 card which is not supported at all. Using it could be a problem, building it should not. Like I said, you don't need support to build packages because re-builind packages is like taking a hotdog out of it's current container and putting it in another container. The hotdog stays the same (in this case, the driver pre-built files), only the container changes. You don't need to eat this hotdog to change it's container.

And in the case of actually compiling packages from source, it's the same deal, only this time it's like taking each ingredient, reading the instructions, baking the bread, etc. Yet again you don't need to eat this hotdog.

I can compile Xorg 1.17 without using it.
          I can compile a different Linux Kernel without using it.
          I can build FGLRX without using it.
          I can build AMDGPU-PRO without using it.

If using the package was a requirement for building it, most distros wouldn't have tens of thousands of packages.
          Well then I suggest you step up and take over maintainership of the amdgpu-pro driver on opensuse if it's that easy for you.
          Looking forward to seeing your packages in the repo!

Comment

I agree with this choice: Nowadays Mesa drivers are sufficiently competitive.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Instead of waiting, sell your old hardware and buy and build new one. You do not want your $$-$$$ items end to a trash.
              So you quoted "waiting for today's release" and ended up talking about trash, with some BS offtopic in the middle

Wine staging csmt feature did not work with the amdgpu-pro driver. That is a big reason to avoid amdgpu-pro in Debian.
              Do you know, when you wanna quote something that you at least in some sense should discuss on that point... but nope, you just quoting things random and then continue to write random about anything else
              Last edited by dungeon; 08 December 2016, 05:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Azrael5 View Post
                I agree with this choice: Nowadays Mesa drivers are sufficiently competitive.
                This and because AMD only supports ancient kernels and xorg it's too much hassle.

Comment

Now they only need to land llvm3_9 in tumbleweed to support OpenGL 4.5

Comment

goodbye fglrx.

Comment

Originally posted by Space Beer View Post
                      This is the biggest issue in my opinion. It's a shame that open source software like LO Calc or Blender, can fully utilize openCL on GPUs with open source driver.
                      The open source driver can be written by third parties too like the redhat dev working on a Vulkan driver for AMD, or freelance programmers sponsored by a crowdfunding.

Comment

Working...
                      X