Developers Discuss Future Of CD/DVD Optical Images For Fedora

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eydee View Post
    Installing from a flash drive or a CD should make no difference. Both are made from the same iso files at the end-user level. Unless Fedora devs want to introduce some obscure, unnecessary way of distributing the OS, I don't even know what they're talking about. Still desperately trying to prove they're not Microsoft? We know.

Comment

Originally posted by eydee View Post
      Installing from a flash drive or a CD should make no difference. Both are made from the same iso files at the end-user level. Unless Fedora devs want to introduce some obscure, unnecessary way of distributing the OS, I don't even know what they're talking about. Still desperately trying to prove they're not Microsoft? We know.
      It's just a question of testing. Boot from CD/DVD should still work - but under the proposal, they're simply going to limit testing to VMs booting from virtual drives (which is trivial to test automatically), instead of burning physical media and booting from real hardware.

Comment

Originally posted by kparal View Post

Virtual machine booting is not affected by the proposal. Also, the same ISO images can be burned to USB sticks (using dd or Fedora Media Writer). Do you burn those images to optical disks, and is there any reason why USB sticks wouldn't work for you?
        Well my ASUS P9X79 is able to boot from USB as far as I know, but if I remember well not in an straightforward way, it requires some dive into the advanced options. The UEFI interface has a wonderful drag&drop GUI with icons matching each HDD and DVD detected by the system, even when the DVD tray is empty. As far as I know it doesn´t add any icon for USB even with USB sticks plugged-in.

Comment

Delgarde: No, we would still be testing optical media and USB installs. We just wouldn't commit to testing *every single image* with both of those.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
            Hi, can you tell me how do you do this, please.
            Thanks.
            You have to buy the hardware which can do this: in my case a Zalman VE-300 external USD HDD.
            Sorry for the late reply.

Comment

Originally posted by renox View Post

You have to buy the hardware which can do this: in my case a Zalman VE-300 external USD HDD.
              Sorry for the late reply.
              Hmmm... very interesting.
              I didn't know such a thing existed.
              Thank you!

Comment

Working...
              X