Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Devs Discuss Changing Their Release Scheduling, Maybe One Big Release Per Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ldo17 View Post
    You mean the background auto-defrag that was introduced in Vista, so your disk would keep churning away even when you were not doing anything?
    No I meant some other stuff about windows registry, it was slowing down the machine as you added keys (installing stuff, updates, changing configurations).
    They solved it somehow (the full explanation is outside of the scope of this discussion, you can google that up)

Also there are various "boot faster" and "fast program startup" optimizations that learn what you use most and then preload it, plus a bunch of other things that auto-optimize the system. In Vista they were all running like crap, but they got tuned and from win7 onwards they are doing their job.

The Windows engineers lost that understanding a long time ago.
    Lol no, the issue in MS is that engineers are not in charge. If you have commercial types in charge, stupid shit happens.
    #WithEngineersInChargeEverythingIsBetter

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Also there are various "boot faster" and "fast program startup" optimizations that learn what you use most and then preload it, plus a bunch of other things that auto-optimize the system.
      Like i said, a bag was stuck on the side to try to patch up a fundamental design problem, but the fundamental problem remains.

This is why Windows has become so complicated, nobody inside or outside Microsoft understands how it all fits together any more. Perform the same task twice, and it might work perfectly one time and fail mysteriously another time. Sooner or later it comes down to “have you tried turning it off and on again?”.

Comment

Like i said, a bag was stuck on the side to try to patch up a fundamental design problem, but the fundamental problem remains.
        Wrong, on linux you can install similar systems too and get similar speed improvements, http://www.hecticgeek.com/2013/05/us...-ubuntu-13-04/

For ntfs autodefragging, see btrfs that needs autodefragging too and it's done at driver level (or ZFS that can't be defragged at all and you may need to move files away and move them in again or reformat it whole to fix this if you hit issues).

This is why Windows has become so complicated, nobody inside or outside Microsoft understands how it all fits together any more. Perform the same task twice, and it might work perfectly one time and fail mysteriously another time. Sooner or later it comes down to “have you tried turning it off and on again?”.
        Stop this trolling BS. MS has plenty of issues, but it's not because of this.

Comment

Wrong, on linux you can install similar systems too and get similar speed improvements
          Why would you need them? Linux already runs faster than Windows without such fiddling.

Stop this trolling BS
          You use that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...

Comment

Why would you need them?
            lollollolollololol... because application startup is up to 60% faster with Preload (depends from application)? Did you see the graphs?
            Linux already runs faster than Windows without such fiddling.
            Lol nope, stop posting fanboy bullshit.
            Startup time of programs is not really influenced by the OS but by disk access, if the program is already cached in RAM the startup is faster, period.
            By default Windows has these things enabled, so yeah, program startup of applications it knows you use often is faster in Windows.

You use that word. I do not think it means what you think it means...
            Tvtropes is in my blacklist because reasons, let's see wikipedia:

In Internet slang, a troll (/ˈtroʊl/, /ˈtrɒl/) is a person who sows discord on the Internet by starting arguments or upsetting people, by posting inflammatory,[1] extraneous, or off-topic messages in an online community (such as a newsgroup, forum, chat room, or blog) with the intent of provoking readers into an emotional response[2] or of otherwise disrupting normal, on-topic discussion,[3] often for the troll's amusement.

What are you doing again? Posting plain bullshit flame about Windows in a forum thread about Fedora changing their release schedule. Troll confirmed, now go away plz.

Comment

No. This was true for XP due to technical reasons (windows registry was designed like crap), but in later Win OSs that got fixed. People keep repeating the same thing but it is now a myth.
              I see things a different way: while it's true that XP's desease was chronical, subsequent releases can be induced into it.
              No matter how well the registry works now, apps can freely write/delete into it. Many times what happens is that they do stuff they shouldn't.
              The same happens with system files.
              The same happens with M$'s own updates.
              The same happens with NTFS's legendary resiliency where a single system freeze can mean a reinstall...

On linux that never happened, period.
              Not meaning to start a flame war here, but for me RPM distros tend to suffer a bit from that problem. Maybe it's me. Or maybe it's a problem of the past, since i haven't tried using an RPM distro in almost 10 years...
              I never had such issues with deb based distros.

If your system (linux or win7+) is slowing down it's because you have installed stuff that is constantly running and eating resources, and the cure is nuking that software, not reinstalling. (well sure you can also reinstall, but that's a bit excessive)
              That is (also) true.
              But not the whole truth, IMHO.

Did you actually try with a slower upgrade cycle too?
              Since i am a distro hopper, that's the most i can live with one install...

Comment

this will never happen, i dont believe the Gnome Devs are in Favor of this, plus i cant see Redhat signing off on it, as they need stuff tested to make its way into RHEL . you can say all you like that Fedora isnt a Test bed for RHEL but it is an always will be

only thing i think they wanna get rid of is the Alpha Release, an just have Beta an Final.

even if it did/does happen i will go back to Windows , this would kill my Linux experience
                Last edited by Anvil; 09 December 2016, 05:53 AM.

Comment

Tvtropes is in my blacklist because reasons...
                  Too close to the truth, huh?

Face it, Windows doesn’t just have one bag hung on the side, it is an entire collection of bags hung off other bags.

Windows can’t even copy files right.

Comment

Working...
                  X