Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fedora Devs Discuss Changing Their Release Scheduling, Maybe One Big Release Per Year

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Devs Discuss Changing Their Release Scheduling, Maybe One Big Release Per Year

Phoronix: Fedora Devs Discuss Changing Their Release Scheduling, Maybe One Big Release Per Year

Fedora Project Leader Matthew Miller has offered some statistics about the Fedora 25 launch to date and is proposing some possible changes to release scheduling for the Red Hat sponsored Linux distribution, including the possibility of moving to doing one major release per calendar year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are 2 typos:

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Given the work on Fedora.Next the past few rekeases
    Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    maximum PR strength / user-growrth,

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      There are 2 typos:

Doh, fixed. Thanks, been a long tiring day.
      Michael Larabel
      https://www.michaellarabel.com/

Comment

Why not a rolling release?

By the way folks, one of the reasons I run Mac OS on my personal laptop is that Idon'thave to deal with the horror of new releases every six months that screw everything up on your system. I don't have such problems even when running Apples betas. Many distros since I made the change (2008), have actually improved things a bit but Fedora is really still in the dark ages from what I can see.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Doh, fixed. Thanks, been a long tiring day.
          Yeah I understand that completely, there has been a couple of day where eI'm not even sure how I made it home.

Comment

1 Major Release a Year is a good idea instead of 2 a year, + it gives devs time to fix other stuff besides gnome/kde etc stuff, i just wonder if Gnome Development after 3.24 is/will be slowing down
            Last edited by Anvil; 05 December 2016, 09:31 PM. Reason: typo correction

Comment

I like this idea.. 6 month releases are too tiresome. For reference, I was still using Fedora 20 3-4 months ago..

Comment

I am all for this! Go for it! I usually skip one release and go for the equal Fedora numbers. The reason is - as said - the high frequency in upgrading. Once you upgrade to a new release and that release stabilizes (usually takes a few weeks after release and new packages introduced + it also takes a few days to get comfortable with the new setup + cleanup of the system as one likes it), another release is being introduced and sheduled.

Comment

I'm in favor as well, as long as it does not affect them from shipping the latest software versions of their packages. Especially for kernel, Mesa, X, Wayland, Gnome Shell and Plasma. As it is right now Fedora is starting to slip in some packages, most notably in those previously mentioned.

But a rolling release is a no go for me.

Comment

Is this rolling fedora atomic any good for gaming / stable enough (comparable to tumbleweed)? Never heard of it before.

Comment

Working...
                    X