No announcement yet.

The Systemd-Free Debian Fork Celebrates Its Second Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AFAICS (and I'm no AC dev) this ac file used to generate the default configuration (if no other default is supplied). Am I wrong?
    Distro should supply *their* NTP and DNS servers (--with-ntp-server, --with-dns-servers)

Plus, the code includes the following warning "Do not ship OSes or devices with these default settings. See DISTRO_PORTING for details!" that will be displayed when you run configure.

No sure what's your beef against systemd in this case (beyond hating systemd, yada, yada, yada).

BTW, the mere fact that you waste your time arguing against using systemd (as opposed to helping those who develop a viable alternative), proves my original post.

- Gilboa

Last edited by gilboa; 29 November 2016, 01:57 PM.
    oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
    oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
    oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
    Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

AFAICS (and I'm no AC dev) this ac file used to generate the default configuration (if no other default is supplied). Am I wrong?
      Distro should supply *their* NTP and DNS servers (--with-ntp-server, --with-dns-servers)

Plus, the code includes the following warning "Do not ship OSes or devices with these default settings. See DISTRO_PORTING for details!" that will be displayed when you run configure.

No sure what's your beef against systemd in this case (beyond hating systemd, yada, yada, yada).

- Gilboa
      Well, for one setting defaults that you know most people will ignore that harms them and benefits you is obviously morally wrong at minimum.

Comment

Originally posted by stqn View Post

You complain about trolls, and yet here you are, trolling… Together with the other systemd fanboys trolling in this thread you must feel all warm and fuzzy, eh?
        Please post a link to single post in which I troll or go shut the f**k up.

- Gilboa
        Last edited by gilboa; 29 November 2016, 02:03 PM.
        oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
        oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
        oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

Well, for one setting defaults that you know most people will ignore that harms them and benefits you is obviously morally wrong at minimum.
          While you may be correct in theory, but in reality, unless you trust your distribution to select sane defaults you are completely FUBAR'ed no matter what you do.
          Selecting Google as the default NTP provider is just as good, or bad as selecting a server from the NTP pool *.

- Gilboa

* Actually, one of our clients nearly killed us, when his UTM detected one of our severs trying to access servers in certain countries in the middle east. Turns out it was Fedora's ntp client randomly selecting ntp pool servers. That was the last time we used pool servers...

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post

And as I already said thank god for that too. If it wasn't for Gentoo, take a wild guess what Devuan and other non-systemd distro's would be using? Can ya guess? Go ahead take a stab at it.
            You're really just reinforcing what i originally said.

All that was necessary was for someone (the Gentoo maintainers in this case) to step up and do the work of getting things to work in other init systems. And guess what - problem solved. Debian and other distros didn't have the manpower to do that work, and complaining that **insert any person here** didn't do it for you is just whining.

Comment

Originally posted by smitty3268 View Post

You're really just reinforcing what i originally said.

All that was necessary was for someone (the Gentoo maintainers in this case) to step up and do the work of getting things to work in other init systems. And guess what - problem solved. Debian and other distros didn't have the manpower to do that work, and complaining that **insert any person here** didn't do it for you is just whining.
              I would agree with you if it wasn't for the fact that upstream udev tried breaking that paradigm multiple times and even LP himself promised multiple times that he will make sure it breaks. The problem is not that upstream won't do the work, it's that they actively try to make sure that nobody can do the work. And it's been multiple times now.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post

BTW, the mere fact that you waste your time arguing against using systemd (as opposed to helping those who develop a viable alternative), proves my original post.

- Gilboa

Yes, it will only ever by an issue if you compile systemd yourself and decide to run ./configure without providing other dns-servers. And this DNS setting is also only used by the optional systemd resolver "systemd-resolved" that basically no one uses except people doing containers. And if you get a DNS server in your DHCP reply then this is used instead of the compiled default, so no this is not some sneaky way for LP to allow Google to snoop on peoples DNS requests.

Comment

Originally posted by finalzone View Post
                  That quote you posted was aimed to one developer neglecting the code inside Linux kernel, nothing to do with systemd. You are just taking out of context.
                  It's the same developers. It seems to be their work ethics. So it has to do with systemd too imho.

Comment

FYI Adblock plus or even ublock were powereless against adware served by local browser extensions installed by bullshit adware programs, all times I've tried, 100% fail.
                    So I don't see wtf are you talking about here.
                    You're talking about problems solved by mandatory extension signing.

I'm talking about problems caused by crippling what will be considered for signing.

Hm, that's probably why Chrome gets ass-raped by adware programs too.
                    Yeah, because end-users will do what they feel they need to in order to accomplish their goals and Google forced them to choose between security and accomplishing the goal of downloading from YouTube.

It'll be interesting to see what forks come about. Given human nature, it wouldn't surprise me to see someone release a Devuan-esque "follow upstream but keep support for XUL extensions on life-support for as long as possible" fork.

As also stated in the official docs, they are willing to add webextension APIs to support extensions, see here for the work to support NoScript https://bugzilla.mozilla.org/show_bug.cgi?id=1214733
                    Trust me, I'm subscribed to a lotta bugs surrounding this. Prior to the aggressive plans for axing of XUL and native.js (when WebExtensions Experiments was still possibly just a path for getting your native.js merged into core), I'd been one of the biggest fans of this push.

EEEEEEEK!!!!!! PALE MOON!!!!! MALWARE!!!!! EVIL!!!! EXTERMINATE!!!! EXTERMINATE!!!!!
                    I wouldn't use Pale Moon unless I could build it myself from sufficiently vetted source code.

My hope is actually to externalize my extension loadout (HTTP proxy, jDownloader, external bookmarking and session-persistence app, etc.) so much that, if need be, I could maintain my own custom browser UI on top of something like QWebEngine (Qt's Blink bindings) with minimal effort. (Some of my most essential Firefox addons are simply UI tweaks to implement sane decisions Chrome already follows but Firefox ignores, like matching the OS's scroll-wheel tab switching behaviour.)

Comment

Yes it was always a puzzle to me why people would hate on systemd. You can have some special needs or have some weared ideas about systemd fine. So just don't use it problem solved.

You sound like feminists or SJWs that cant accept other opinions, just on some completely sector you create some sort of pseudo politics.

In politics you cant fork America or a 1960 version of it if you don't like the current branch version of it. In the opensource world you can.

And its not impossible to do look at guixsd, they shurly don't have much devs or maintainer I don't think they ever even said anything bad about systemd, it just don't fullfill their requirements I think their thing is written in lisp, which is good for a emacs centric district and maybe more importent its portable to more architectures which they want to support or do support.

It makes at least some sense for then to have a declerative friendly init system cause its a declerative distro.

So they just did it they got gnome running etc. Lisenses are maybe politics yes, but free /os software is not, nobody forces you to use it. Its not that we all have to use the same.

Comment

Working...
                      X