The Systemd-Free Debian Fork Celebrates Its Second Birthday

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
    I can understand people not liking systemd- I'm not sure I can understand people preferring initrc.

In any case, initrc is not "the UNIX way" originally it was the much simpler file: inittab
    for that matter, inittab wasn't "the Unix way" either.
    The unix way isn't "do it the most simple way even if it is dumb".

Comment

Happy to have the choice on Gentoo ("it's all about choice"). There may be good reasons to overhaul old init systems and so on, but on one hand systemd seems to try to become a jack-of-all-trades (which isn't neccessarily a good thing) and otoh I still fail to grasp the concept of binary log files.
      Stop TCPA, stupid software patents and corrupt politicians!

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
        I can understand people not liking systemd- I'm not sure I can understand people preferring initrc.

In any case, initrc is not "the UNIX way" originally it was the much simpler file: inittab

Ah well: technology moves on and some people get left behind.
        false dichotomy alert. void linux seems to be doing quite well.

Comment

The reason why you don't hear as much groaning about it is because those of us that don't like systemd have been happily not using it for years now. What's the point in wasting time arguing about something that doesn't affect me at all?

It is a free world after all and if people want a walled garden then they can of course feel free to make one. But I don't have to use it and won't ever.

Comment

Originally posted by Adarion View Post
            Happy to have the choice on Gentoo ("it's all about choice"). There may be good reasons to overhaul old init systems and so on, but on one hand systemd seems to try to become a jack-of-all-trades (which isn't neccessarily a good thing) and otoh I still fail to grasp the concept of binary log files.
            They are needed to log messages in very early boot when you can only use binary files as file systems and all that aren't initialized yet. Then they extended this to the whole system because it's MUCH faster to search than a text log. This matters for servers of course.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
              The reason why you don't hear as much groaning about it is because those of us that don't like systemd have been happily not using it for years now. What's the point in wasting time arguing about something that doesn't affect me at all?

It is a free world after all and if people want a walled garden then they can of course feel free to make one. But I don't have to use it and won't ever.
              ^
              |
              a Windows user speaking

Comment

Devuan Ascii is my main OS. It's very stable, I never had stability- or funcionality issues within the last months. But many desktop environments don't work currently. That's why I chose Openbox and I am very happy with it, more than with any other desktop before, after learning how to configure it. Spotify, Steam, whatever one likes works fine and it makes you try out different software because it doesn't really ship with any. The usage and stability is just like Debian Stretch and all documentation for Debian can be used very well.
                What I really wish for the future:
                • At first I would really like to see an installation image for Ascii because installing the basic system of Devuan Jessie and upgrading to Ascii is a bit annoying. And Jessie doesn't really support my RX 480 well.
                • I also hope that there might be an option to install linux-firmware-nonfree directly during the installation because AMDGPU always broke starting up until I installed it using the old Jessie kernel. (Debian has the same issue)
                • And finally I wish of course that the currently removed packages which often somehow depend on systemd can be fixed and added to the repos again as soon as possible.

I don't really know why some people are making such negative comments about the project. I can't trust people who showed a well-known specific attitude towards the Linux community and defend hardcoding Google servers in their software.
                Don't be naive - wariness is more and more a healthy thing, especially in these times being observed by big brothers.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                  ^
                  |
                  a Windows user speaking
                  \
                  Ever heard about OpenRC? A Gentoo user speaking.

Windows obviously isn't a linux distribution dumbass.

Comment

Originally posted by duby229 View Post
                    \
                    Ever heard about OpenRC? A Gentoo user speaking.
                    Yeah, I know you are on Gentoo. Was just pulling your leg a bit.

Windows obviously isn't a linux distribution dumbass.
                    You didn't say you were still on Linux in your post above, hence why I decided to joke a bit. Windows does not have systemd after all.

Comment

I don't really understand the need of this article.. just to enjoy the blood bath?

Comment

Working...
                      X