Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Systemd-Free Debian Fork Celebrates Its Second Birthday

Phoronix: The Systemd-Free Debian Fork Celebrates Its Second Birthday

Devuan, the Debian fork that frees the system of systemd, is now two years old...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

One can loose time the way he wants.
    I prefer count trees in the forest.

Comment

Even though I personally really, really, really, like systemd (being an embedded system developer), I really hoped the development of Devuan will pick up pace.
      First and foremost, the lack of viable alternatives to systemd is never a good thing.
      Second, I hoped all of this anti-systemd energy will actually translate to something useful.

Sadly enough 2016 marked another year in which anti-systemd crowed continued to wasted their time and energy on trolling systemd related (or semi-related) forums and comments sections, as opposed to doing something constructive about it.

- Gilboa
      oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
      oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
      oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
      Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
        Even though I personally really, really, really, like systemd (being an embedded system developer), I really hoped the development of Devuan will pick up pace.
        First and foremost, the lack of viable alternatives to systemd is never a good thing.
        Second, I hoped all of this anti-systemd energy will actually translate to something useful.

Sadly enough 2016 marked another year in which anti-systemd crowed continued to wasted their time and energy on trolling systemd related (or semi-related) forums and comments sections, as opposed to doing something constructive about it.

- Gilboa
        *Sadly enough 2016 marked another year in which crowds continued to wasted their time and energy on trolling on forums and comments sections, as opposed to doing something constructive about it.

fixed it for ya

And yes I feel bad for this negative view.

Comment

This year much of the systemd "hate" seems to have calmed down compared to prior years
          Just in time too. They'll have their hands full raging about how aggressively Mozilla has decided to deprecate support for non-Chrome extensions.

Comment

I can understand people not liking systemd- I'm not sure I can understand people preferring initrc.

In any case, initrc is not "the UNIX way" originally it was the much simpler file: inittab

Ah well: technology moves on and some people get left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by OneTimeShot View Post
              I can understand people not liking systemd- I'm not sure I can understand people preferring initrc.

In any case, initrc is not "the UNIX way" originally it was the much simpler file: inittab

Ah well: technology moves on and some people get left behind.

But for reals way too many people turn Linux into a religion without understanding what it is they're claiming.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                I hoped all of this anti-systemd energy will actually translate to something useful.
                lol, people who can make something useful, are working on systemd. but you can wait few more years, maybe devuan will release their obsolete fork

Comment

Actually devuan did not even manage to celebrate their birthday. No party, no news item, no release, no sign whatsoever that anybody even noticed.

Comment

Originally posted by ssokolow View Post
                    Just in time too. They'll have their hands full raging about how aggressively Mozilla has decided to deprecate support for non-Chrome extensions.
                    And that is a bad thing because? Mozilla devs said in the blog that their web-extensions will give even more control to Noscript and friends.
                    It isn't going to be exactly the same as Chrome, it's an extended version supporting all Chrome supports but adding stuff supported only on Firefox.

Comment

Working...
                    X