Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[QUOTE=Sesivany;n913208]
    Originally posted by adakite View Post
    I might have a stupid question but I'm running F24 with a GTX Titan Black and the Nvidia's blob. Should I wait or the drivers will correctly handle wayland?/QUOTE]

You can upgrade to F25, you just won't be able to run GNOME on Wayland, GNOME will default to X if it detects you're using incompatible drivers.
    didnt gnome support EGLStreams on f25?

Comment

Originally posted by Steffo View Post

My experience is, that KDE integration in Fedora is not the best. I tried it on Fedora 24 and I had to struggle with KDE Wallet which always wanted the master password when I launched Chrome. It was really annoying and when I filed a bug report on the KDE bug tracker, they said, I could install a plugin which inserts automatically my credentials for KDE Wallet. When I said that this is not a user friendly default behaviour, they said, that the distributor is responsible how they handle security.
      I've never used a desktop where some service ask me for a password when I start a browser (per session)! I've used Windows, Mac, Gnome, Unity etc. and all of them hadn't such a shitty default behaviour. After filing some KDE bugs, I switched back to Gnome...
      I put my wallet and browser files in an ecryptfs Private directory, which is mounted automatically at boot. When the KDE asks the first time for a password, just hit enter to store passwords unencrypted. Since they will be in the encrypted ecryptfs directory, they are secure.

Comment

No, I don't want that KDE Wallet is that pushy. – I don't want even to use it! It appears for every reason. Sometimes I don't even know why. Once I had to insert my master password for a service called kded5 – I don't even know this service! KDE Wallet was bothering me for every littleness!
        There's probably two wallets on your system kde4 one and plasma 5. Add option Enabled=false on it's own line under the settings of [Wallet], in both config files.(Plasma 5 -> ~/.config/kwalletrc and kde4 -> ~/.kde/share/config/kwalletrc or ~/.kde4/share/config/kwalletrc depending on distribution)

Comment

No, I don't want that KDE Wallet is that pushy. – I don't want even to use it! It appears for every reason. Sometimes I don't even know why. Once I had to insert my master password for a service called kded5 – I don't even know this service! KDE Wallet was bothering me for every littleness!
          Has disabling kwallet crossed your mind?
          KWallet can be as annoying as UAC, I'll give you that, but disabling KWallet is nowhere near as dangerous as disabling UAC.

Comment

Originally posted by Scias View Post
            Did they backport the mutter-eglstream patches for NVIDIA on GNOME Wayland ?
            Yes! I looking forward to try this.

Comment

Originally posted by Scias View Post
              Did they backport the mutter-eglstream patches for NVIDIA on GNOME Wayland ?
              yes, I looking forward to try this.

Comment

[QUOTE=Sesivany;n913208]
                Originally posted by adakite View Post
                I might have a stupid question but I'm running F24 with a GTX Titan Black and the Nvidia's blob. Should I wait or the drivers will correctly handle wayland?/QUOTE]

You can upgrade to F25, you just won't be able to run GNOME on Wayland, GNOME will default to X if it detects you're using incompatible drivers.

I have gnome wayland working with the nvidia driver using mutter git, it isn't that stable.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                  maybe it is time for you to discover checksum files accompanying isos ?
                  It would be pretty nice if Fedora and the rest of the Linux distros discovered metalinks for downloads. With those, a good download extension like DownThemAll! can automatically do checksum verification, download from multiple mirrors and several other good tricks.

Comment

Originally posted by Zan Lynx View Post

It would be pretty nice if Fedora and the rest of the Linux distros discovered metalinks for downloads. With those, a good download extension like DownThemAll! can automatically do checksum verification, download from multiple mirrors and several other good tricks.
                    Fedora does use metalinks within yum/dnf

Like yum before it, dnf also uses (by default) metalinks served by Fedora Mirrormanager mirrorlist servers. Metalinks are a great thing, but it seems like many people don't understand them or realize what great benefits they provide, so I thought I would do this post to help.

The default download from this release uses a software helper

A quick tutorial about Fedora Media Writer, and its usage in both Fedora and Windows. Learn how to download and write your favorite Fedora flavor onto a USB

That can help you with mirror management etc. File RFE's for missing features,.

Comment

My experience is, that KDE integration in Fedora is not the best. I tried it on Fedora 24 and I had to struggle with KDE Wallet which always wanted the master password when I launched Chrome. It was really annoying and when I filed a bug report on the KDE bug tracker, they said, I could install a plugin which inserts automatically my credentials for KDE Wallet. When I said that this is not a user friendly default behaviour, they said, that the distributor is responsible how they handle security.
                      That sounds like your distribution did not install the PAM plugin which unlocks the wallet on login.
                      I.e. the same way gnome-keyring is unlocked.

If your distribution doesn't want security to be user friendly then that's their choice, it works flawlessly on Debian.

Though it is very strange that they would install the PAM support for gnome-keyring but not kwallet.

Cheers,
                      _

Comment

Working...
                      X