Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Guest replied
    Originally posted by bruder View Post

Having the ATI can suck also... I have a Lenovo E450 laptop, which has the Intel HD5500 integrated graphics that is paired with ATI's Radeon R7 M260, and on Ubuntu 16.04 I have the same problem as mr. sp82. Just after clicking the Try Ubuntu or Install button I get kicked back to console with bunch of dmesg messages about amdgpu and the system halts. This never happens with Fedora, but we all know why it happens with Ubuntu. Anyway, this particular laptop model doesn't seem to like linux systems. Very often I get gnome or app crashes, plus my laptop turned off immediately twice without notice. None of these problems occur when running Windows.

But for me the biggest problem is the low screen refresh rate. Everything tells me the refresh is 60 Hz, but I can clearly see the screen refreshing like it was 30 Hz or so. This happens on every linux distro I tried: Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE and others. The only system that can deal with this is Windows, be it 7, 8 or 10. I'm not proficient enough to tell what is causing this, so don't blame me it this can be easly fixed.
    I'd try booting with one or a combination of the following kernel options (only use one of the acpi_osi options):

Code:
    intel_iommu=on
    Code:
    pcie_aspm=off
    Code:
    pcie_port_pm=off
    Code:
    acpi_osi='Linux'
    Code:
    acpi_osi='!Windows 2015'

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by tjwhaynes View Post
    I have an Optimus-based laptop (Lenovo W541). Anyone who has similar hardware run into any issues (I currently use nvidia-bumblebee) on F25?
    I had no issues, but I use NVIDIA Prime (just run everything on the NV GPU always) and use the driver from negativo17's repo.

Originally posted by sgallagh View Post

Would you be so kind as to join the Fedora Server mailing list and discuss what issues you have with SELinux? At the very least, everything should be working out of the box. Also, we now have an SELinux Troubleshooter add-on to Cockpit (`dnf install cockpit-selinux`) that will report issues, suggest fixes and enable you to report bugs if you think that the requested action should be possible by default.
    Hi, I don't have any issues with SELinux with default packages. On my webserver, it's just some daemon and other executables from 3rd-party stuff that throws some denials (specifically GNU social's queue daemon and MediaGoblin's paste/celery services). The denials increased in future Fedora versions (F22 was smooth, F23 I needed to set one for GNU social, F24 was when a bunch of things related to the two services above started being denied, and F25 was basically the same as F24).

I'm not sure if this is a "proper" way of handling this, but I just clear the audit log, set SELinux to permissive, start the problematic service(s), create an audit profile with audit2allow, install the policy, and set SELinux back to enforcing. Now that I know how to do that, the process takes about 10-20 seconds.

Leave a comment:

• liam
    replied

Having the ATI can suck also... I have a Lenovo E450 laptop, which has the Intel HD5500 integrated graphics that is paired with ATI's Radeon R7 M260, and on Ubuntu 16.04 I have the same problem as mr. sp82. Just after clicking the Try Ubuntu or Install button I get kicked back to console with bunch of dmesg messages about amdgpu and the system halts. This never happens with Fedora, but we all know why it happens with Ubuntu. Anyway, this particular laptop model doesn't seem to like linux systems. Very often I get gnome or app crashes, plus my laptop turned off immediately twice without notice. None of these problems occur when running Windows.

But for me the biggest problem is the low screen refresh rate. Everything tells me the refresh is 60 Hz, but I can clearly see the screen refreshing like it was 30 Hz or so. This happens on every linux distro I tried: Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE and others. The only system that can deal with this is Windows, be it 7, 8 or 10. I'm not proficient enough to tell what is causing this, so don't blame me it this can be easly fixed.
    Take a look at your "bios" and look for anything that stands out as rather Windows specific, and see if you can disable either of the gpus.
    At a minimum try switching your uefi into compatibility mode then boot a live image.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by Griffin View Post
    You can't install one of the lesser desktops and expect the same quality as Gnome.
    I currently have ~50 "lesser" Fedora/KDE machines.
    Might I ask how many Fedora/GNOME machine are you currently managing?
    Last edited by gilboa; 22 November 2016, 04:29 AM.

Leave a comment:

• gilboa
    replied
    Originally posted by reavertm View Post
    For me, Fedora 25 (KDE Plasma) is total failure - 12 minutes to login due to races of unknown nature.

Not surprisingly packagers don't care, it's not Gnome bug.
    A couple of comments:
    1. Your bug is far too cluttered, I'd suggest you break into multiple bugs.
    2. Try creating a new account "test" and login into KDE, do you see the same errors?
    3. You may want to join the Fedora-KDE mailing list. A lot of helpful people there.

- Gilboa
    Last edited by gilboa; 22 November 2016, 04:31 AM.

Leave a comment:

• horizonbrave
    replied
    what's your favorite way for enabling flash? peeper-flash wrapper or the Adobe repo? The safer the better I guess (I know the real safer should be to leave flash out of the system . Thanks

Leave a comment:

• pal666
    replied
    This never happens with Fedora, but we all know why it happens with Ubuntu.
    well, ubuntu sucks too

Leave a comment:

• reavertm
    replied
    For me, Fedora 25 (KDE Plasma) is total failure - 12 minutes to login due to races of unknown nature.

Not surprisingly packagers don't care, it's not Gnome bug.

Leave a comment:

• omer666
    replied
    Any other report of nVidia cards having a black screen on Fedora 25?
    I'm getting a 1050 Ti tomorrow and I'd really like to enjoy it after upgrading.
    Also, what's the status of XWayland on nVidia? I've recently read it was not working at all...

Leave a comment:

• littleowl
    replied
    Originally posted by ernstp View Post
    How much SELinux troubles does one run into these days? Or does everyone here disable SELinux the first thing they do.. ? :-)
    No troubles at all. I use it starting from Fedora Core 5 (2006) and I have actually never had any serious issue, nothing what could not be easily solved. These bad stories are exaggerated, the troubles were usually a result of badly packaged or installed software and mismatch with the default [restrictive] policy. SELinux is a strong layer of protection, and disabling it is nearly a crime, because there are good tools to adjust the policy to suit your needs.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X