Fedora 25 Turned Out Great, Definitely My Most Favorite Fedora Release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ernstp View Post
    How much SELinux troubles does one run into these days? Or does everyone here disable SELinux the first thing they do.. ? :-)
    I actually purposely make sure it's running first thing, including on my phone, as I prefer the added security.
    I have absolutely no issue with it, though I have previously needed to tweak some things for samba to work, which are well documented, but I don't have a use for samba anymore (SFTP/FTP is good enough for me).

Comment

How much SELinux troubles does one run into these days? Or does everyone here disable SELinux the first thing they do.. ? :-)
      On Fedora Workstation, none. I don't even notice that SELinux exists.

On Fedora Server... oh boy Although it's not really that bad now that I know how to generate profiles I guess.

Comment

Phoronix, are you using the 1.3 Beta which was declared Gold Master?

Comment

I have an Optimus-based laptop (Lenovo W541). Anyone who has similar hardware run into any issues (I currently use nvidia-bumblebee) on F25?

Comment

Originally posted by funfunctor View Post
            This is going to be such a fantastic release today !

Michael Larabel I too was a little disappointed mesa 13 isn't in this release as it has a bunch of my work also in there. Actually what is holding it all up now is pocl hasn't been released yet with LLVM 3.9 support. So bumping LLVM breaks that package and hence blocks mesa from getting bumped also.
            RadeonSI (and all other mesa drivers) support back to LLVM 3.6, so I don't think that's blocking anything.

Granted, Mesa 13 with LLVM 3.8 wouldn't provide many of the big features that 13.0 brings to radeonsi.

Comment

Originally posted by Espionage724 View Post

On Fedora Workstation, none. I don't even notice that SELinux exists.

On Fedora Server... oh boy Although it's not really that bad now that I know how to generate profiles I guess.
              Would you be so kind as to join the Fedora Server mailing list and discuss what issues you have with SELinux? At the very least, everything should be working out of the box. Also, we now have an SELinux Troubleshooter add-on to Cockpit (`dnf install cockpit-selinux`) that will report issues, suggest fixes and enable you to report bugs if you think that the requested action should be possible by default.

Comment

Originally posted by pal666 View Post
                nvidia sucks
                Having the ATI can suck also... I have a Lenovo E450 laptop, which has the Intel HD5500 integrated graphics that is paired with ATI's Radeon R7 M260, and on Ubuntu 16.04 I have the same problem as mr. sp82. Just after clicking the Try Ubuntu or Install button I get kicked back to console with bunch of dmesg messages about amdgpu and the system halts. This never happens with Fedora, but we all know why it happens with Ubuntu. Anyway, this particular laptop model doesn't seem to like linux systems. Very often I get gnome or app crashes, plus my laptop turned off immediately twice without notice. None of these problems occur when running Windows.

But for me the biggest problem is the low screen refresh rate. Everything tells me the refresh is 60 Hz, but I can clearly see the screen refreshing like it was 30 Hz or so. This happens on every linux distro I tried: Debian, Ubuntu, Mint, Fedora, OpenSUSE and others. The only system that can deal with this is Windows, be it 7, 8 or 10. I'm not proficient enough to tell what is causing this, so don't blame me it this can be easly fixed.

Comment

No troubles at all. I use it starting from Fedora Core 5 (2006) and I have actually never had any serious issue, nothing what could not be easily solved. These bad stories are exaggerated, the troubles were usually a result of badly packaged or installed software and mismatch with the default [restrictive] policy. SELinux is a strong layer of protection, and disabling it is nearly a crime, because there are good tools to adjust the policy to suit your needs.

Comment

Any other report of nVidia cards having a black screen on Fedora 25?
                    I'm getting a 1050 Ti tomorrow and I'd really like to enjoy it after upgrading.
                    Also, what's the status of XWayland on nVidia? I've recently read it was not working at all...

Comment

For me, Fedora 25 (KDE Plasma) is total failure - 12 minutes to login due to races of unknown nature.

Not surprisingly packagers don't care, it's not Gnome bug.

Comment

Working...
                      X