Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unity 8 & All Snaps-Based Ubuntu Still Expected For 18.04 LTS

Phoronix: Unity 8 & All Snaps-Based Ubuntu Still Expected For 18.04 LTS

Today during the Ubuntu Online Summit for Ubuntu 17.04 was a convergence Q/A talk where Unity 8 and delivering a all-Snaps image (no Debian packages) were talked about for nearly one hour...

http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...y-8-Snaps-Talk

De ja vĂ¹.

Comment

Unity 8 is like Fedora not being delayed: it won't happen

/jk

As aside, I wondered if they are going to use the new proposed api or they will use EGLBuffers

Comment

Are they all work in home office?!

Comment

Highly doubt they can land Unity 8 and a pure snap system and have it polished enough so that it can go into the next LTS in just 2 releases.

Comment

Wow, very ambitious plans I wonder who is gonna do all this work.

Comment

They can land Unity 8. It's literally already 3 years late (Unity/Mir was planned for 13.10).
              Snap seems much less realistic

Comment

I have moved from ubuntu to fedora on my desktop. Yet, I think that convergence is a big thing, which is why I am looking forward to see Unity 8 in a usable state a.s.a.p.

Comment

Very brave to make such a huge shift (new DE, new package system) on the next LTS release. Let's see how this will work out.

Comment

I wonder if Canonical will implement a wayland protocol in MIR. Nothing is actually hindering them in this. They might need to since no one else in the desktop application space is using MIR... As far as i know at least.

Comment

Working...
                    X